or Connect

Posts by emma00

Azuralea - thank you for your perspective. I think with everything, tone is key. I can certainly appreciate why it feels rude when someone asks a question with the sole intent of feeling superior -whether it be to a WOHM or a SAHM. I have never asked someone about their situation with that intent in mind, nor because I was just idly curious. I am genuinely interested in how working mothers swing the balance and I usually find that my perpective is broadened by...
Quote: Originally Posted by Azuralea Now I say I work at my company. Again, usually no bad reactions, although I have had a few people then ask pointedly, "Who cares for your child when you're working?" Which I answer truthfully, but I think it's a pretty personal, intrusive, and rude question, and it does make me think less of the person who asks. My husband, of course, is never asked that follow-up question. : I'm just curious why you find the...
The benefits are 55% of your salary up to a maximum of 39,000 annual salary (at least that was the max the last time I was on mat leave) If your salary is over 39,000 you will only receive 55% of the max salary limit. Your company top-up policy will explain whether they top up 100% of your current salary or 80% or whatever. You should be aware that some companies that top up will claw it back if you don't return to work following the end of your maternity leave. Just...
Personally - I always try and get a gage on salary expectations right off the top of a pre-interview with a nanny so that I don't waste my time or hers if we are no where in synch. For me, it's important to work above board as well - so that is also something I establish right away. I found this out the hard way after doing some more extensive interviews only to realize that we not remotely on the same page with regards to salary etc. Good luck finding the right fit. ...
You must ice and stretch constantly - like I mean every hour! Use a frozen water bottle. I didn't really get that the first time I went through it and it really extended the recovery time. I also got treatment from an "active release therapist" - basically really deep tissue massage to break up the scar tissue. She also manually broke up the scar tissue with an accupuncture needle. I also took pretty high levels of anti-inflamatories for about a month. (Not everyone...
I work 20 hours per week. I work two full days (8.5 hours) and then pick up the remaining hours one morning when my youngest is in nursery school. My older two are in school every morning. I have a nanny that I share with a friend. At one time when I only had my oldest I used a in-home careprovider. Personally I prefer to work consecutive days, as it works best for my work life and it seems easiest on the kids.
We've not had lice - just been through endless exposures at school. What is the school's policy? At my kids school kids found to have nits (alive or dead) are sent home and can't come back to school until they have been cleared by the school 'nit inspector'. I also bought the "lice meister" comb during one of the more epic lice epidemics at our school and I found it worked pretty well. What a drag to be dealing with this!
I think rather than thinking public vs. private you need to think about what type of education and school you are interested in your child attending. I send my kids to a private school primarily because I believe that the specific environment of *this* school best suits the values and educational objectives of our family. This is a very small religiously-based school that does employ (some) teachers who do not have textbook credentials and who are paid less than public...
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing her pictures and your memories of her.
I used a doula with my first birth and had it covered by my insurance (don't remember who it was at the time) The key for me to getting it covered was that my doula was also a registered massage therapist. She wrote me up a receipt with her registration # that stated something like "massage and support during labour" I am also in Ontario. I didn't end up using a doula for my next two births as I had midwives and didn't feel the need for any more bodies. Good luck.