or Connect

Posts by Climbing Rose

www.iansvoice.org   I just had to share this.  It is sensitive, but I wanted to do something to honor this precious, amazing little boy, and I thought sharing his life here might help.    
I am an odd duck here too.    I think we are HOMEschoolers surrounded by many homeSCHOOLers... =)   Thankfully, we are finding our place though.
4evermom, That is good advice.  I always appreciate what you have to say~ Thank you! You are always a voice of calm reassurance about HSing in PA, which helps when my mind is in panic over all these new-to-us regulations.
Thanks for the replies.  It does make me feel better about it all.   I just don't like the idea of the testing, for a lot of moral/ethical/religious reasons (I know you might feel the same way!).  We didn't have to test in our other state, and so have never done it.  My oldest is a perfectionist and he knows what the tests are about, and I think it will bother him.  My second is very right-brained and I can't see it helping her self-confidence, if you know what I...
Here is the link to the Bartleby Project, by John Taylor Gatto, where children basically are COs and simply write "I prefer not to take your test" on the answer sheet.  Then I guess the parent can turn in the test result of 0% as required by law.   http://bartlebyproject.com/       As for as the law, 22 Pa. Admin. Code § 4.4(d)(5) states: (5)  If upon inspection of State assessments parents or guardians find the assessment in conflict with...
Here is the link to the Bartleby Project, by John Taylor Gatto, where children basically are COs and simply write "I prefer not to take your test" on the answer sheet.  Then I guess the parent can turn in the test result of 0% as required by law.   http://bartlebyproject.com/       As for as the law, 22 Pa. Admin. Code § 4.4(d)(5) states: (5)  If upon inspection of State assessments parents or guardians find the assessment in conflict with...
Here is the link to the Bartleby Project, by John Taylor Gatto, where children basically are COs and simply write "I prefer not to take your test" on the answer sheet.  Then I guess the parent can turn in the test result of 0% as required by law.   http://bartlebyproject.com/       As for as the law, 22 Pa. Admin. Code § 4.4(d)(5) states: (5)  If upon inspection of State assessments parents or guardians find the assessment in conflict with their religious...
I know this was a while ago, but this shows what kind of a guy my DH is.    We got married and had a baby really young.  When DS was a newborn, we were running late to get somewhere and DS needed to nurse.  DH was dishing up spaghetti for us to eat quick, and I was nursing on the couch.  I was just thinking, "How is *this* going to work?  I am not even going to be able to *eat!*"   And before I had even finished thinking it, he was there, holding a plate of...
I don't know if this will help, but I second moving. I agree that people move all the time for things like jobs, even the weather! Why not try to move to true community? =)   We have done this twice, and not regretted it. The last time (which was only two months ago) was the best. We are *surrounded* ~ LOL!   We moved to a place where there is a very active HS community. There are play dates, project days, field trips, all set up thru the HS group at our...
DH and I reached a point a few years ago where were also fed up with institutional style, political, (honestly very worldly) "church." I totally understand why you are upset about all of it.   I could write a whole long post on what we saw and experienced ourselves. We (with some friends) started looking into it and ended up having a home church. I can definitely say that home churching was one of the *best* decisions we ever made for our family. We had so much...