or Connect

Posts by Celine

thanks, the more i've been thinking about it, the more things i think of that i should have said.... it's a really good point about all the diseases we adults were never vaccinated for, and what we were vaccinated for could be out of date. i'm definately going to say something when i see her again. although, she's probably one of those people that it won't matter what i say anyway. when i told her i stopped vaccinating because of side effects, she completely ignored...
I'm trying to understand why, and if this is common... I met a mother today at my kid's class who used to live in park slope (brooklyn) she said there were a lot of children there who were not vaccinated, and she was afraid to let her own daughter be around them - or herself to go to mom's meetings.... She is very, very pro-vaccination. (she says she's seen complications from measles and chicken pox, and for that reason would never risk letting her child catch...
I do the string and clothespin thing too - I used two thumbtacks to stick the string to the molding around some windows, and left string hanging the length of the window, so now the artwork frames the window. Also, I tied string to the stair railing, and have artwork clothespinned up. (I also cut little bug shapes, had the girls decorate those, then glued them to the clothespins). For framing artwork, I bought our frames at pier one, 11 x 14 size with clear glass on...
I have dozens and dozens of those small scholastic type paper books for kids - so thin that some don't have anything written on the spine. How do you organize them? Having them on a regular bookshelf doesn't really work since they get lost between the bigger books, or the kids pull them all out because they are so thin. Anybody have any neat ideas for storing them so that they are still read often? thanks!
I have to agree with others who say they don't like the tone of this thread. Having lived in urban areas where there are walmarts along with trader joes, whole foods, regular grocery chains, I can understand why some people don't understand why shopping at walmart can be a necessity. Having moved to a rural "city" where we have walmart, and two other grocery stores, i can now understand why walmart becomes a necessity for those on a tight budget. The prices at the...
This is driving me nuts, my oldest daughter has just started kindergarten. In the public school, here in GA, the teacher was bribing the kids to be quiet all day with a piece of candy at the end of the day. We went in and kindly asked her to give our daughter stickers instead, and we supplied the stickers. We figured candy was being used as a bribe because there are so many kids in the public school who never learned any type of discipline at home. Not the way i would...
I received a similar comment, it turned out the person hadn't realized there was a baby inside (she was nice and snuggly asleep at the time in a mayawrap). I probably did more explaining that the lady cared to hear - about how the weight was distributed well, i could breastfeed easily, etc.
Sure, there are absolutely infants who need vitamin D or other vitamin supplements - But i visually don't fit into those risk groups - i'm caucasian, live in SUNNY Georgia, and the doctor did NOT inquire about MY diet or vitamin intake (which happens to be quite healthy, though not organic as it's not available here). It was just a blanket "you need to supplement" based on the fact that i don't give my infant formula. Guess he never heard breast is best? It just...
I WISH i could!!! It's just too small town/mainstream here - doctors are god mentality. Fortunately, we're only here a few more years, then we're finding a larger area to live, and you can bet i'll be researching the doctors/AP/Organic community/availabilty very well before we move somewhere (any east coast recomendations? anybody? - that's really a whole other thread!)
I'm not giving my baby the vitamins - nor did i give them to the other two kids - it just irritates me that doctors routinely prescribe them, and i hate lying about it - yet i didn't really have any reason for telling them why we weren't taking them. Well, i just did a search on the internet, and there are some research studies that show early infant multivitamin supplementation is linked to food allergies and asthma. Not to mention the intestinal/stomach imbalances it...