or Connect

Posts by Bisou

Rach:   I am so sorry for you and sad to read your heartbreaking and traumatic story.  This is something that shouldn't have happened to a perfectly healthy little boy.  I was lucky in that, as a single mom with a partner who wasn't around, I got to make these decisions myself with no pressure from anyone.  I am sorry you and your little boy had to go through this and that your partner was so unsupportive of your feelings.   You are brave to post here, and I hope...
Puddle~   I guess that makes sense.  Have you ever suggested that your husband talk to an uncircumcised man to see how he feels about it?  I have dated two uncirced men, and they thought it was ridiculous that we circ men in this country.  (One was from India; the other from Mexico.)  They had much better sexual function than any other men I've dated --- not to be graphic, but no problems maintaining erections and that sort of thing like some circ'd men have,...
Puddle,   Did your husband read that letter you wrote to your son?  If so, I can't see how any caring, compassionate husband could still insist on it being done, not only for your son (most important!), but also because of your strong feelings!  Wow.  Just shocking.  If I felt like this happening to my son would mean I had failed as a mother and my husband ignored those feelings and STILL insisted, the marriage would be on rocky ground, and soon.    I was a...
Thanks for the great suggestions!   The Hands on Portland site is awesome as you can specifically search for volunteer projects that allow (or even are tailored to) children!  GREAT.  Exactly what I needed!   Now I only need to find the time! 
Hello:   I have a five-year-old son and live in Portland.  I have been wanting to do some volunteer work as a family (my son and I), but I am having trouble finding opportunities for a child that age.    I am hoping to find something that he might enjoy while also feeling like he is really helping others.  I looked into the Humane Society, but he is too young for that.  I know some people take kids to help at soup kitchens, but I feel he's too young to be around...
I didn't read the responses, just the OP, so I apologize if I am repeating things, but this is what I've done and have found to be very effective!   We have a set bedtime routine and stick to the same bedtime every day (as much as possible anyway).  After we brush teeth and go potty, we get in bed and read books, usually about 3-4, though sometimes I read more if he seems extra energetic.  Once I am done reading with him, I turn off the light, snuggle for a minute,...
Quote:   I definitely have had a problem with imagining, in great detail, horrific crimes against people (adults, children, whatever).  I think for me it's trying to understand HOW COULD SOMEONE DO THAT?  I won't go into detail about the kinds of things I think or wonder because I don't want to freak people out, but that's what the nature of my thought process focuses on.  I just can't wrap my mind around doing something like that, and then I wonder what causes it. ...
Thanks for your reply.   My son doesn't have autism or any other diagnosed condition.  He just has anger problems that can be severe at times.  (He was abused at a daycare at age two and has experienced a few other traumatic incidents as well, which seem to be contributing to his problem.)   My issue with giving my son meds is that I am mainly concerned about possible side effects since he's SO young (only five years old!) and I think we are way too gung ho on...
Hi Sewchris:   Yes, they do consult with each other more or less.  I also always double check things with everyone.    Merry Christmas --- or Happy Holidays if you don't celebrate Christmas!   
Thanks haleyelianasmom and Cekimon for your posts.   I have learned a lot from some of the mamas who have posted.  I was raised in an extremely conservative fundamentalist Christian home, and I was told to NEVER touch my genitals for any reason, which lead to me never even washing the area until I was in my late teens!     While I didn't do any sexual play when I was a child (out of fear of extreme punishment for such behavior!), when I did become sexually active...