or Connect

Posts by sohj

Quote: Originally Posted by halalove Obviously, that's in another context. Seriously, I think if it suddenly became common to use the term "black folks," people would be pretty offended. For example, if a recent thread was titled "What do Black Folks think of Dreads?" I think it would have been commented on. THe "white folks" thing is obnoxious and condescending. Would you prefer I use volks? Actually, WEB DuBois wrote The Souls of...
Still waiting.
Quote: Originally Posted by lotusbeans In fact, someone just told me that Easter is really Easter and I'm just not sure.. I don't think so but I've been meaning to read up on that. I always assumed it was borrowed too. Eostre. Oester -- as in Oesterreich=Austria. Goddess of the east wind and fertility. The egg is one of her symbols. Easter is TOTALLY pagan.
Quote: Originally Posted by Periwinkle sohj, re: the Scots selling tartans. I sort of see your point, but also I am thinking of my family's efforts in genealogy and a trip I took back to the land of my ancestors where I read old maps and went to the library there and tried to find out more about where ancestors were buried, etc. I mean, I'm American 100%, but I also have a heritage that I and many others are trying to connect to. I don't see much...
Quote: Originally Posted by mara Well maybe that is just it. Everyone is different. Imagine that. Some jews would be more offended than others. I don't think this is the point. CA is using without context or understanding and perhaps with a certain degree of smugness at having given oneself a dab of "exoticism" (whatever the "exotic" would be in this case) without any work or right. CA isn't determined by whether or not some or all people of a...
Quote: Originally Posted by dnw826 Do you mean that the oppressors were the Scots that relented after a battle or two? There are centuries upon centuries of battles and fighting going on deeper than that. Well, I think the struggle in Scotland against an imperialist, expansionist power could really be limited to 650 years, approximately, at the most. That is including the imposition of english as nobles in scotland in the middle ages....
Sort of OT, but sort of not. Quote: Originally Posted by sophmama FWIW - as a Celt I love to see kilts or anything Celtic on *anyone* but I guess some may object? I've never met anyone who did. Go to Scotland then, and step off the plane talking about your scotch-irish family and really concerned about getting some bit of gimcrack in "your" tartan. Mostly, being scots, they just make fun of it and laugh a whole lot. But, seriously, it...
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie Chop wood, carry water.
Quote: Originally Posted by Periwinkle A lot of really, really well meaning people. Well, they do say that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.
Quote: Originally Posted by dnw826 ... So we can't do any of these things to try to get a feel of other cultures just because we are white? Does that go the other way? WHat if you are "white" and NA, does that mean you can't dress up? ... So then should I just teach my kids that since we are "white" we should "act white" and ONLY do things and have things that reinforce white stereotypes and not engage in anything from other cultures? No....