or Connect

Posts by sohj

Racist. Sexist. Consumerist. (As in, any one of those movies has a whole product line for the new fan to start coveting.) Boring. Mediocre animation -- both the old and the newER. The Pixar animation is good, but I still prefer the japanese animation like in Princess Mononoke. About specific scenes to convince your DH...can't help you there. I cringed just when seeing the trailer for Pochohantas. Ewwwww.
People who flip property are the scum of the earth, right up there with CIA interrogators. They destroy neighborhoods and they accelerate the over-pricedness of property. They don't add any value to the properties, they don't support local (or even non-local) businesses except for their own pocketbooks. It isn't like they are at least developers or landlords. They aren't providing a service of any kind. They are speculators -- just like short term investors. Tell her to...
I know one word of Latvian: Sveiki. It means hello. (Say it sVAY-key) There are so few Latvian speakers in the world that I get a HUGE amount of mileage out of knowing just that. Encourage that language! Preferably with a real live person, it is much more fun. I know 3 Latvians in Spain and one here in NYC. There must be more than just that one woman where you are. Just wanted to add something to the thread: a little confession. I might be getting a computer w/ DVD...
From my personal experience, I find I am far more susceptible to illnesses when under stress. I've always made an assumption that the soldiers were probably under more stress (less sleep, less fresh food, less clean air, more noise, etc.) than non-combatants. I'm sure that plenty of civilians in certain areas were under a huge amount of stress and suffering from some forms of malnutrition, but, I suspect that military life was generally harder on a body. Offering a shrug...
Just adding some anecdotal stuff: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...her#post828653 A little story about my grandfather and that deadly 1918 influenza. He ended up being part of the US Expeditionary Force to Siberia during the Russian Revolution. Quote: I do know that he said that their ships doctor had everyone who got it drinking a glass of orange juice made by crushing the whole orange into a paste (peel included) and one raw egg every few hours....
By the guidelines on the first page and by my own perceptions, I'd say I'm upper class. Part of this is an idea of an inheritance that gets passed through a family. I have absorbed my mother's family's idea of being "landed" (ie: owning property, as opposed to renting or having rights to it) as meaning that I'm "gentry". Her family was culturally fairly european although she was born in the US. On the other hand, my father's family would be more of a traditional working...
Eww. V. sorry to hear this.
Where are you? Is it still contageous?
Quote: Originally Posted by spinspin My DH and I live in a big city, where we seem to be the only people who simply do not like TV. Gotham City? Like NYC? I'm there and I don't have one either. I was raised w/o but, even so, the fact I'm in NYC, with all the street theatre, as I call it, not to mention so much performance available everywhere I turn, means I really don't need media piped in on a box.
I had it as an adult and I posted about my experience here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...pox#post789324