or Connect

Posts by Naomi

Red dye #40, if your kid trick-or-treats, and likes candy canes. I had a friend whose kid acted demon-possessed in early November. He normally ate a very healthy diet but got Halloween candy and a lot of it was red. My kid is short-tempered, violent, and incredibly agitated if she eats red 40, and fine otherwise.   
Like MsFortune, I'm pro-science and both my daughters are fully vaccinated.   I have read the research and feel very comfortable with this decision.  Also, as a college student, I studied abroad in a third world country where not everyone had access to vaccinations, so the consequences of a largely unvaccinated society are not abstract to me; I've seen them personally.  
My gifted fourth grader is in a social skills class, and was in one last year as well.  It's been extremely helpful to her.  The school counselors do not ask us nosy questions about our life -- mostly they observe her and track her behavior, to see whether the problematic stuff is becoming less of an issue.   I would have gotten a lot out of a social skills group as a child, despite the fact that I did have friends and was excelling academically.
One of the phrases I see here an awful lot is "trust your gut, you know your body best." At ten, I think she is hitting the point where she knows her body and should be learning to trust her own gut. Her gut is telling her that she will be better off with the flu shot than without it this year, and I think you should respect that.
Regarding the germs & spitting -- that really sounds like OCD to me. I had OCD as a child, with a particular focus on poisoning. I was convinced that I would eat something I shouldn't while on autopilot, and would spit into my sleeve to get rid of the thing I was suddenly convinced I'd eaten. The book What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck by Dawn Huebner is a really excellent book on OCD for kids. I highly recommend it. She also has one on anxiety, one on anger...
1. "Thank you." You can work on the "smartness isn't everything" piece in a more private setting; when it's a comment from some random person, teach your child to accept compliments graciously. 2. I don't generally announce to people that my kid is gifted. If it's relevant to the conversation and it comes up, it's generally in a very specific way, and if they challenged me on something I guess I would react the same way as I would if they said, "no WAY does your...
Last year my kid would ask me to give her math problems to entertain/distract her while I was brushing her hair. Specifically, she wanted fraction problems that required finding a common denominator.
Check into the online classes at the Art of Problem Solving. Also, talk to the parents and see if they have any ideas. If the 8th grade math class worked out schedule-wise I would consider that a better option. Since it screws up all her other scheduled stuff, that doesn't work nearly as well.
It didn't become a major issue in my house until my kid started school. She started reading fluently in preschool, and I needed to track down meaty-yet-age-appropriate books for her, which took some effort. (FYI: old-school classics and books that were written for middle grade readers prior to 1970 tend to be really good options.) But it was not anything I really needed to WORRY about until she started school.
I think you should talk to the coordinator. Don't worry about being a pushy mom (not yet, anyway). It sounds like last year's teacher was kind of a jerk, and your kid would benefit from this program. A lot of gifted pull-out programs are mostly not kids who will blow you out of the water, for a whole lot of reasons, including that one or two kids is not much of a pull-out program. (And FWIW, plenty of blow-you-out-of-the-water kids develop unevenly, like your kid.)