or Connect

Posts by lovermont

I'll look again at the resources - thanks for the reminder. I looked through them during our last foster placement, but the needs of our new placement are different (and EASIER by far). We currently have a 2.5 year old and 9mos old and we've had them about 6 weeks. The 2 year old is doing what (I think) is typical for a 2 year old - when people talk about the terrible 2's.We just never had that with our older two who we birthed (so we're ap'ed from birth). So what do you...
Just curious what experience others have had. In our experience it is very ineffective to parent AP style with children who are walking/talking. We start with our usual gentle parenting, but until it escalates to a firm NO! - the child will not react (think of things like: stay this far from the woodstove, we leave chairs at the table, etc). AP is effective when a relationship between a child and parent has been built on trust. However, if a child has learned (through...
I read a blog post once where the mom had experience with both birthing and adopting children (wish I could remember where I saw it). She talked about how you don't fall hard and fast in love with a newborn after birth. It's a gradual love that grows and evolves as your relationship deepens. The same with fostering/adopting. You don't feel an instant connection ... it grows and evolves over time through experience and life together. This helped me in both ways - I have...
Thanks for letting me know. My family has moved to Saranc, NY for various reasons. Can you pm me information for me to pass on to those still connected with this co-op. I'm sure they would be interested. Thanks!
Hi! Yes, the group has formed and is very low key. The group meets every wednesday (except the third wed of the month because everyone goes to Mr. K) at the Felco Room at the Franklin Homestead at 9am. I'll message you with contact info. We'd love to see you.
We're hoping to move to upstate NY early next year. We currently homeschool in Vermont and I'm really nervous looking at the NY requirements. Any advice? Can anyone talk about the reality of meeting the requirements (as oppose to how scary it looks in legalese). Thanks!
Thanks so much for the reminder that the regs are scarier in writing than in practice. We are currently in VT and I remember being super super nervous and overwhelmed with what I needed to do - but in the end it was no big deal. We're potentially moving over the border to upstate NY and it looks like quarterly reports are due with an explanation for why goals have not been met if they haven't and yearly standardized tests.
We are likely moving to another state soon-ish. The state we are looking to move to has much stricter home schooling requirements and I'm finding them intimidating. I mentioned this to a friend's mom who home schooled my friend "back in the day". She said she went to a home schooling conference when she was home schooling and those that were in more challenging states would say they just didn't let the state know they had school aged children. This was being frowned upon...
Just stumbled on this thread. J2 did you end up getting Math Lessons for a Living Education? I'm thinking about getting this - not sure if book 1 or 2 would be better for our first year of "school". Review please!
Thank you everyone! I'll try to just live. Glad to hear it's not just me. That's reassuring and also to read examples of daily comings and goings that seem normal but can fit into "standards". Blech. I have a teaching license and don't agree with standards and see their silliness but it's still hard! I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I started the "100 easy lessons to teach your kid to read" (or something like that) because ds said he wanted to learn to read. Some days...