or Connect

Posts by ishyfishie

I prefer Dr. Miller, but I always mention Dr. Lauria in case someone would prefer a male doctor. We really do like him as well, but Dr. Miller seems to take more time and is more focused on us. I always ask for Dr. Miller but we've been "squeezed in" with Dr. Lauria when necessary.   The biggest "problem" I've had with the office is getting attitude from the receptionists who make the appointments...I skipped certain well visits with both girls and they acted like it...
Hi Liz, welcome to Buffalo! If you're in the Southtowns, I highly recommend Dr. Jennifer Miller and/or Dr. Gerald Lauria at WNY Pediatrics in Orchard Park (www.wnypediatrics.com). We're not super crazy about the ladies who schedule appointments over the phone (ie I wouldn't ask them questions about taking non-vaxing patients, etc), but we love both doctors and the nurses we've had. They're both very supportive and respectful of our "alternative" choices and very much...
Oh, but on the what's going on front...let's see. Caroline is 6 months old as of Wednesday, no idea where the last half a year went! Lucy is both frustrating and incredibly awesome. Dh took today off to try to pound out the last 10-15 pages of his MBA capstone project so he can be done done done after almost 3 years of working on the degree. He applied for a new job within his company and I'm really hoping he gets it. It's more "stress" (ie sales goals) but more...
Quote: Originally Posted by *jeanine* What's everyone been up to? I know Rachel's been Cupkaking (and not sending any to us ). It's been quiet..... LOL! I'm sorry to be slacking! I'm just so nervous about shipping them frosted and having them just turn into a big mess. Dh has been slowly turning me onto this idea of "cupcake in a jar" where it's cupcake and frosting in like a canning jar and you eat it with a spoon. Does that sound cool or...
Quote: Originally Posted by caned & able This is nothing new. A similar incident happened in 1961 in Wisconsin. The mother has written a book about her struggle with her son entitled, appropriately, A Stolen Life, by Marge Grant. She told her story on national television in the early 1980s. Her son is still alive, and she still cares for him daily. A doctor at the Mayo Clinic told her it was caused by the pertussis portion of the Quadrigen...
Quote: Originally Posted by ellairiesmom They have been doing this thing in the car lately...they literally crack each other up. Ella gets Kaya (6 mos) giggling & then they both just get going & it is hysterical. Out of control giggling at each other for minutes at a time... I LOVE this! Lucy and Caroline have been doing this, but usually when they're lying down on the floor or the bed together. It's so sweet!
We do BLW but for the purpose of clarity (since a lot of people hear the "weaning" part and think it means we're going to stop breastfeeding), I generally call it "self-feeding." We don't do purees or cereals, for the most part (with dd1, we did some oatmeal and I'd load one spoon and hand it to her, then load a second spoon and trade to avoid the screaming lol), it's basically "when a baby is truly ready for solids, she's able to pick up food and put it in her mouth to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ambystoma For those of you who have more than 1 kid (preferably 1.5-3 years apart): We were pretty set on having DS be an only child, but now are considering another baby, but want the next one to be very close to DS in age. My goal would be 18months-2 years apart so tandem nursing and diapering would be an easier transition for him. Can you give me pros and cons of having 2 this close. Am I being crazy for considering this? I...
1984 here and I knew a ton of Nicoles growing up! Caroline must have gone through two growth spurts in the past month, one right past the 4 month mark and one in the past week or so! She's around 27.5" and 17 lbs 5 oz as of yesterday (which was 5 months!). Dd1 was 17 lbs 14 oz at 9 months, lol. She's grabbing things and reaching out for stuff and just growing so quickly. She loves being on her tummy (for a short while, anyway), which is so different from dd1. I think...
I had a band of "fibrous" tissue that wasn't stretching--and I know it wasn't just something the midwife said, it had caused some issues in other arenas as well. My midwives during dd1's birth had a very low episiotomy rate (5%?) and she stopped after almost 2 hours of pushing and said, "I know you don't want one, but I'm not sure this baby will come out without an episiotomy. Will you let me do it?" I'm not sure what would've happened if I'd refused...I assume the tissue...