or Connect

Posts by holly6737

Yes, you would only have those invasive procedures if the drugs didn't work first. It is imperative if you have a PPH that your midwife transports very quickly. A lot of blood can be lost in a little amount of time, but if you have a PPH at home and your midwife transfers expediently, then you can still have a very good outcome. IMO, if you get to the point where she's having to give you methergine and/or other uterotonics, then it's time to call an ambulance. So far as...
History of PPH makes it more likely that you will have another PPH. It doesn't mean you definitely WILL have another PPH, but you are at greater risk, especially if it was due to something other than retained membranes or laceration. I have to disagree that your midwife has everything the hospital has at it's disposal. I'm not trying to talk you out of homebirthing, because I think homebirth can be a safe option for low risk women when attended by educated providers, but...
Has MDC really changed? Seems the same to me as it was back in 2005/6. I"m less crunchy than I was back then, but MDC still seems pretty crunchy!
JAMA, NEJM, etc.
That's right. Your most recent booster will protect you against tetanus with this incident. Your next tetanus booster should be 2015-2016. :) 
I'd hardly consider an internet poll a study. Was it peer reviewed? Was it published in a reputable journal? If not, it's not on my radar.
It's impossible to have a baby without some sort of pain. I"m sorry, but that's the truth. Pregnancy itself causes pain- round ligament pain, pressure at the end of pregnancy, etc. If you have a c-section, they're going to definitely be putting in an IV and that will cause pain. After the c-section, your incision will cause pain. If you want to have a planned elective c-section, I support your decision. However, do not expect to be without pain. Having a baby is painful-...
The benefit of a continuous IV is that we know it hasn't clotted off. If you have a medlock (we dont' use the term heplock anymore, that's a really outdated term because we don't put heparin in IVs like that anymore), it is your RN's responsibility to be flushing it regularly to make sure it still works and isn't clotting off. So if the RN is doing her job, there really is no advantage to a continuous IV over a medlock. 
I think there is value in GBS, personally, because I have seen kids really, really sick with GBS sepsis. Now, if you want to refuse eye drops and vitamin K, that's your call, but I wouldn't let yourself believe that colostrum is going to do anything to cure up any gonorrhea/chlamydia in your baby's eyes. Colostrum doesn't cure or even treat gonorrhea or chlamydia infections in infants eyes and I'm somewhat disturbed that your midwife would think that it does. That would...
With a history of a 13 lb 8 oz baby, yes, that would affect my choice to VBAC. Now, keep in mind I'm pretty pro-VBAC. I"ve had 2 myself. But history of a 13 and a half pound baby? Honestly, the risk of shoulder dystocia, postpartum hemorrhage, etc would just be too great for me. I would choose a repeat. Obviously this is something you should discuss with your physicians/CNMs, but that's the choice that I, personally, would make.