or Connect

Posts by Sheepdoc

My kids 9&11 have requested we not say, "please" because they feel that means they have a choice. It is rough having a child who needs/wants lots of autonomy. I have to remind myself that I am trying to raise children who think and don't blindly obey. If we want them to make their own choicesunder peer pressure we need to start by letting them do it under parental pressure. I see lots of good ideas on this thread. Other thoughts, pick your battles and offer choices. e.g....
I had a normal birth with baby #1. He was nursing fine, smiling and we went to the ped. Visit the midwives here made sound mandatory on day 2. It was a nasty spiral into more visits, coerced formula supplementation, nipple confusion/breast refusal, etc.... Ever since I beg moms to be not to take healthy babies in until after the first two weeks. It's amazing my thirds had his first ped. visit at 2 months. He'd gained only 1# from birth (3 inches and I was dealing...
It does not get better. The better days/moments slowly start to become more frequent but this loss and all it's sadness is forever. You may benefit from either herbal or pharmaceutical medication as a crutch for a short time, especially as you have a small child who needs you. One idea is to put a number on your calendar every night rating the day 1-4. After several weeks it may help to look back and see how the bad days get less frequent over time. There are stages...
We had some success with NAET and acupuncture but i seems to be Practioner dependent and can ware off. We are now trying LDA shots and I have seen much success for me. I think success with the baby, it's hard to tell.
And we get our venison from sympathetic friends and friends of friends so far it's been free even though I keep offering to pay processing costs.
This could have been written by me! At 2.5 yrs I still can't eat egg, gluten without it setting off my son. First allergy testing: IgE is not mature at is age and could be a false negative. Also there are plenty of nonIgE for sensitivities. We have not had any IgE tests show anything! Not even for sweet potato which turned his whole body blotchy and filled his livings with fluid. For us patch testing was the key to finding the last few allergens I was missing with...
He spilled his Dad's blue cheese dressing on his hands and I wiped him down with napkins and walked him across the cafeteria to the bathroom. As I ran water over his hands/arms I noticed they were bright red where the dressing had been. It didn't seem to bother him and settled into a dull scaly flaky red within 30 minutes. It took about a week to heal with applying occasional cortisone. It's scary because this is new. He's handled dairy before without it burning skin...
Actually it's the same. It is unethical for an OB not to accept VBAC. Technically it should be illegal as it forces women to have surgery w/o consent, especially if she does not have easy access to another qualified provider. It also is not a best practices but it is standard of care - which as I pointed out earlier is defined as doing whatever the majority is doing.
I have a 2 .5 yo who loves to help load the dishwasher. He also has developed contact allergies to foods we have in the house. Taking the foods he's allergic to out of the house is not an option. I loved the "I do" grocery bag. I want to encourage him in helping around the house. Any ideas on how to let him help load the dishwasher while keeping him safe?
The American health care system works on a payment per procedure basis. It does not work on an outcome based basis. This promotes in a positive feedback loop a financial incentive for not choosing the most effective treatment. The treatment which generated the largest profit creates the largest revenue for the group selling it leading them to have more money to more aggressively market their product. There is no financial incentive to look at outcomes. This does not...