or Connect

Posts by singermom

Hi, there, dear dolphinkisser! Methinks your business meeting may have been the victim of the beautiful weather, rather than Father's Day per se. We have often had this problem during the nicer months--business meeting attendance goes WAAAAY down when there are hikes to be taken, pools or lakes to be sat beside, or stuff like that. We helped that by moving business meeting to before MfW for six months (or so) of the year--yes, there are still people who don't come,...
Hi, HBM! Long time no talk! Hope you are doing well (with the present post's exceptions, of course...). Hard to say what I would have done--in a hospital ER, all bets are off, and everyone is basically on edge. I think if it had been a different place, like an airport where a plane was delayed, and I was sitting with two wiggly, tired children, and a person approached me, offering help, I might do it differently. Or not. I just don't know. I read recently that...
I apologize if this is the wrong place for this--please feel free to move. I checked some of the other forums, and nothing seemed to quite fit, but maybe I missed something... I'm hosting a babyshower for a person that I am just beginning to know--she recently moved across the country, and does not know many people in our area, aside from our Quaker meeting, where she has been an active attender. She is thrilled at the idea that we want to have a shower for her, and...
I have a lot to say on this, but I am rushing to get ready for meeting myself at the moment, LOL! In a nutshell, I think the previous poster is correct--Quakers can tend to be introverted, and it can be hard when you are a new person to feel welcomed. I try to remind myself that we are all ministers, and that we are all responsible for building the community. I'm a little more naturally extroverted, so it is not as hard for me to walk up to a person and start a...
I saw that article in the NYT the other morning and found it to be one of the most unappetizing things I could read over my breakfast cereal! Guess it is a slow news week...
After an absurdly long break from MDC, I am just now back and finding this thread...I see a lot of my old Ffriends (that's just a little Quaker humor) are here. Hi, guys! I am the daughter of convinced Friends, and have always been a Quaker. It informs every part of my life, and if I find something in my life that it is not informing, it probably should. My DH began attending when he met me, and at first was not particularly interested in joining, but later got more...
Definitely BTDT on a lot of this! The other day I pulled a lime green pen with a feather on the end of it out of my pocket, which definitely made people take notice. Nowadays I'm mostly the mom that races out of the office at a particular time to make sure I'm home in time to meet my daughter's school bus. Mia
Medeanj: I've posted here before about the fact that my father considers himself to be a "Jewish Quaker," in that he was born Jewish and still embraces that faith, but also worships silently at Quaker meeting. The Quakers (at least those at our meeting) don't particularly care that he isn't a Christian in the strict sense of the word. And he doesn't feel uncomfortable if someone in our meeting gives ministry that mentions Christ in the spiritual sense. I guess it...
Thanks, owensmom, for the heads-up! I'll keep it in mind. I am trying to balance some of my 6-year-old's sensitiveness with the socialization she will need, especially since she is now in school. She is starting to understand the difference between a bad thing that happens at one point of a story, which can lead to a good thing happening later. It's a tough call, especially with media, which our family has a sort of love/hate relationship with anyway. But I guess...
We've been invited to see CG this Friday, and now I think we'll go. My 6 year old is extremely sensitive, so a lot of things that most kids her age would not find troubling, she is very disturbed by. It's sort of like the whole experience can throw her off at times--the music being loud, the darkness of the set, and she can't stand any unkindness whatsoever, even if the person is doing it as a joke. So I still have to be careful what we pick. Our younger dd (3.5) is...