or Connect

Posts by momofsage

Thanks, everyone!  This is really helpful.
Any suggestions?  This is for a Kindergarten teacher.  We were thinking of giving her some books for her classroom.  But I'd love to hear what others have done/are doing.   Thanks, Jen
My daughter gets totally freaked out every time she gets a loose tooth.  Can anyone recommend a children's book (age appropriate for a Kindergartener) about losing teeth?   Thanks, Jen
I saw and appreciated the great thread here about gifts for teachers.  But I'm specifically wondering if folks have ideas for things kids can *make* for their teachers (there were a few ideas in the thread I mentioned, but I'm seeking more).  This is for a Kindergarten teacher.   Any suggestions?   Thanks!
This doesn't answer your question, but I try to remind myself that many of those qualities that make my child challenging to parent will serve her well as an adult. For ex., I *want* her to be strong willed, to know her own mind, to question authority. Sometimes I think obedience and pliability are way overrated.
as much as I hate to hear someone else is going through this, it's nice to have even more confirmation that this is normal behavior. I just read the thread by Jade's mom about "I'm sick of the back-talk" and I found those responses REALLY great. I'm going to try them right away! Things are getting a *little* better at our house, but it's taken a lot of patience and talking-through of the issue with her. I am still not sure if we're doing things the right way but...
Thanks, folks! This is really helpful to know! She is getting the same amount of sleep, which is definitely enough. And the interrupting is not the kind that all kids do out of excitement. It's deliberate, and usually it's not even to say something. It's just a yell or a noise or babbling. I really don't want to add to her stress and I do know she is under a lot of it right now, even though she loves school. But we're also sensing that she's pushing...
Help! My sweet 5yo dd has undergone a change since starting Kindergarten. She was always very well behaved: even though she is strong-willed, she has never deliberately acted out. At Kindergarten, which she loves, she is fine. But at home, she has started becoming difficult. She interrupts us, either with words or with loud noises. While someone is talking to her, she starts making sounds. She yells and occasionally plays aggressively. I am guessing this might...
Oh, thank you. That is great advice. I might make a photo necklace for each of us--what a great idea! We did go to the school playground yesterday (which is the place where the kids get dropped off), and she had a great time, so I think maybe we'll do that a few more times but not do any direct discussion of K unless she brings it up, as you say. That is a good point. I am sorry that you and your dd are having similar issues, but it does make me feel better to know...
Thanks, you two. These messages help. I am torn about what to do. Her teacher said we might consider not talking about Kindergarten until it's time to start, to avoid putting pressure on her. But on the other hand, I want to make it as familiar as possible. I was thinking that playing Kindergarten would be a good idea, as well as visiting the school. Maybe we can do that without bringing up the issue of separation too much. . . . I just don't know. For us,...