or Connect

Posts by mnj77

I think you need to change the power dynamic.  It kind of sounds like your dd is a mini Marie Antoinette, holding court over your whole family.  If my DD speaks rudely to her dad, I would say firmly, "DD, speak kindly to your dad."  If she's angry about something, maybe "DD, I understand that you're angry about x, but you need to speak kindly to your dad."  And I wouldn't really be inclined to discuss it or give her much attention until she corrected herself.  I expect DH...
Could you set up a private consultation or phone call with the doctor and see if they think it's within the range of normal and where you go from here?  It seems like she needs some assistance with her emotions and it's affecting her enjoyment of life and her family's.  I think a healthy dose of empathy can be helpful with a 3 or 4 year old tantrumer, but maybe not as helpful at 7.  Not that you shouldn't empathize with whatever is making her upset, but I don't think it's...
I would chat with the teacher and tell her that your daughter is struggling with some social dynamics in the classroom.  How are girls going to learn other ways of interacting if no one tells them that the current way is unacceptable?  When my daughter was 4, the teacher put it in a really nice way.  She said that most kids need to work on balance - some of the other kids were working on toning down a strong personality, and my kid (and others) were working on developing...
I don't know if they would be too girlish, but my DD loved the Big Apple Barn series and I was really impressed with the thoughtfulness of the (animal) characters.  They're about horses, and have no violence whatsoever.
I only have one so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but what about pointing out to him that people gave him a lot of grace and patience when he was a baby, and it would be nice if he passed that on?  "Yeah, it's annoying when babies rip up our papers.  Babies are like that and they're still learning how to behave.  When you were a baby, you ripped up my papers sometimes.  It was annoying, but I knew you were still learning so I still liked you."
First, I would get him tested for a urinary tract infection.  My dd had one once - she didn't seem to be in any pain but was doing a lot of "dribbling."  I felt terrible when it was finally diagnosed.  If there's no medical problem, I would be very gentle and let it run its course for a little while.  I think sometimes growth can mess with their little bodies and they might go through periods when they have accidents.
Maybe this will be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's ok to make a peaceful home your first priority and work on housekeeping skills later.  I'm a pretty messy person myself though.  I would probably clean it up for her if it was really bothering me.  When I need DD to clean up her stuff in common areas, I generally make it very easy for her.  I pile all her stuff up at the bottom of the stairs and ask her to take it to her room and put it away.  If I want her to...
I would definitely honor and try her idea.  Sometimes we all need external motivation.  Just make it really specific and short in duration - "That's a great idea!  Let's try it for a week and see if it helps us remember to do x."  
I've tried to tell my DD Santa isn't real at least twice, and she doesn't believe me!  The first time she was 4 or 5 and upset bc her friend got a letter from Santa and she didn't.  I told her it was pretend, and she didn't believe me at all.  Just last night, I tried to bring it up again and tell her that it's something parents make up for fun, and she turned away from me and laughingly said "That's none of my business."  So, I'm pretty sure she knows at this point and is...
For a perspective on immersion program homework, DD is in 1st grade in Mandarin immersion.  She has a packet of two double sided pages due on Monday, Weds. and Friday.  One page is Chinese and there is a lot of practicing characters.  The other page is math.  It takes her about 15 minutes to complete the whole thing.     For English she has a packet due once a week that takes her about 15 minutes to complete.   It sounds like your son is doing a lot of repetitive...