or Connect

Posts by indigo_sue

My husband and I are just getting ready to start toilet training our DS, who is two and a half and is really interested in this whole potty issue. A few ideas we're going to try using: - If he has child friends who are toilet-trained but about the same age, perhaps they can spend some time together and your DS can watch how it works? A positive role model might help. - Make it a game to go potty! Get some cardboard or craft foam and cut it into shapes. Float them in the...
I'm in Prince George on business for two nights (arrived today). I brought my old Avent pump with me because my toddler is still nursing, but I had to leave him home... he hasn't had pumped milk for a few months and I didn't check the completeness of this pump before I packed it. I'm missing the inside membrane (the little white doo-hickey that goes in the hole to make suction). Thanks to the BPA scare, none of the easily-accessible stores (London Drugs, Shoppers, Evil...
Hi everyone, My SIL gave birth last Friday by c-section after an early induction. She had gestational diabetes and the doctors advised her to induce at 39 weeks. The baby was 8lb14oz and had low blood sugar so was in NICU for three days. The NICU nurses began bottle-feeding dextrose & formula during recovery. SIL was only given a pump at 24 hrs and tried a latch at 36 hrs but baby was already full of formula, and sleepy from epidural and jaundice. oy vey!! nak...
I used the My Brest Friend personally, but I think everyone has a personal preference. I was just using bed pillows for the first few weeks but I found they weren't firm enough to BF for very long - everything sagged and my back paid the price. You might consider getting a pump for later days, or in case you have supply issues in early days. I had the Avent pump that came with all the much-debated BPA-filled baby bottles... I *love* that pump. But again, everyone will...
Oh I'm totally not judging on the C-section thing... I'm personally terrified of surgery and needles so anybody who can survive two epidurals and a c-section gets my vote for Local Hero! What's driving me nuts is that SIL *is* sad and depressed, but my brother seems to only want to do what the doctors say, and has pretty much dismissed anything that I say as being "alternative"... because I'm the hippie who had the unmedicated home birth. :doh Today I suggested that...
HI all, My SIL delivered her baby via C-section on Friday morning (5am). She had gestational diabetes and the baby's blood sugar was very low after the delivery. DN (that's darling niece!) was taken to NICU while SIL was in recovery. By 10:30am when I visited, SIL still hadn't even SEEN her baby even though both were awake... the nurses in NICU were feeding every two hours on the clock, despite DN's obvious rooting behaviors - they offered a pacifier instead. Anyhow, 24...
Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease! Thanks for the suggestions about carriers. I was wondering if we should bother with an umbrella stroller or just bring our Ergo. DS is a *big* boy... already 28lbs at 15mo, and I'm expecting he'll be maybe 35lbs or so in another year. (No idea, no clue about how much kids grow between 15-27mo). He squirms in the Ergo sometimes but mostly because I don't use it very much. I'll start using it more so he gets used to it. Jet...
Next October, we are planning to take a big trip and I'm wondering if there are any tips, things I should be aware of, etc. We are first going to Australia where I'm competing in rowing for the World Masters Games over three days. DS has been at rowing events before so that will be fun and mostly familiar for him. After a few more days in Sydney, we're planning to fly to Thailand and spend 8-10 days there. Part of me thinks it's all going to be fine, because DS is a...
Oooh yes, reading - I find reading things in my field to be a great way to bolster my confidence and enthusiasm. Also, I'd like to say something which you probably already know, but might appreciate hearing from someone else (some random stranger): art *is* very important. It's one of the marks of a civilized society - even if it's just some creepy ancestor portrait, art is one of our ways of recording people and memories of the past. It's what makes us human and humane!
HI Proudmom! I'm also a self-employed mom, and let me tell you I really recognize what you're saying here! I do business consulting, working with small companies who probably couldn't afford a consultant from a big firm but can work with me because my rates are lower. Even so, I often lose clients because of "sticker shock" when they hear my rate. Over the past 15 months since my son was born my professional career has become a shambles and sometimes I wonder if it's...