or Connect

Posts by DASHmom

Yeah, my husband and I looked at unemployment rates when deciding where to move, too. The apartment we chose costs a little over two weeks of the max unemployment, instead of the other place, which took just under four weeks' checks. Neither is comfortable, I'd have to get a job ASAP, but it's something. I don't know the official name of it, but here in NYS, there's a rule saying that you don't need to accept jobs under a reasonable salary for that position. Remember...
Quote: Originally Posted by Raene Anyone do this and NOT own a microwave? I wonder how hard that would be for us. I'm currently between microwaves. The oldest of my kids is allowed to use the stove unsupervised but the second isn't, so I may end up caving in order to afford him the freedom to make himself snacks. As for the freezing, I often freeze leftover grains for the kids to make themselves food, since rice and beans is one of their...
Oh, and a sample day for us? My dh and I don't usually eat breakfast, though he drinks lots of coffee and milk in the morning. I might have a cup but have insomnia so try to limit my caffeine to one cup of coffee with a LOT of milk in it. My kids usually either skip breakfast (by choice, as they have free access to food all day long at school), have cold cereal (one of the only things I get that isn't whole grain, though if I found a reasonably priced, nonsugary cold...
If you spend less than $500... I don't come in under 500 but I don't think it's necessarily meaningful to compare a flat monthly amount. I prefer to look at the cost per person per day, since that lets you adjust your numbers for part time family or the number of people in your family. A family of two (just to come up with some examples) that spends 250 a month is spending over 4 dollars a day per person, whereas my family of six spending that much would come to 750 a...
It really drives it home that we live in an expensive area (hudson valley, ny) when I read these posts. - 22 weeks of a CSA is going to cost is 900 dollars. - A dozen free range eggs is usually 5.00 or 5.50, though if I drive a half hour, there's a farmstand that charges 3.00. I'll keep looking for cheaper. Also, I raised chickens and the feed around here is so expensive that it costs nearly 3.00 per dozen to raise your own organic, free range eggs. I'll go work...
I had a little New Year's Eve celebration with dh during "red alert" week... wasn't ttc, wasn't tta... was just sleepy! LOL! So... do I post here? Sandra, new here