or Connect

Posts by lava mama

I started out with Sonlight, but it ended up not being a very good fit for us. Taking a more eclectic approach works well for our family. I really love a lot of things about Charlotte Mason so I try to incorporate her philosophy into our every day. We are using Explode the Code as a phonics program and while I find it repetitive (we'll skip a few pages here and there) I really like it. We're using Singapore Math and my DS likes that too (he says math is his favorite). We...
I have a 5.5 yo DS who is very free spirited/strong willed about how he does things. I have the Getty-Dubay handwriting book that I've used a few times with him. I've tried some copy work with him. We've done quite a few pages in Explode the Code. We are using Singapore Math at the moment, and he enjoys that work as well.   My question is, when do you enforce Uppercase and Lowercase usage, if you do at all? Do you worry about forming letters the "right" way? This is...
We didn't really incorporate them into anything when I was younger. My mom basically just let us listen to whatever we wanted during the day, so we listened to those a lot. The FHEs we had growing up were more like, "Let's listen to 'Heart of Rock 'n Roll' and dance like crazy!" --not much structure to them at all. My friend is doing one Standing Tall value per month, using the song to help teach the value and then pulling from other sources/experiences to reaffirm...
I totally had all of the Safety Kids songs memorized when I was really little. "Sometimes you just gotta yell and scream. Sometimes it's the only thing to do!..." One of my BFFs is incorporating the Standing Tall songs and accompanying virtues in her homeschool routine, and I think I'm going to as well. I haven't listened to them in a looooong time, but I don't remember there being anything religious about them. Then again, I'm LDS myself so I might not have noticed...
... he CAN'T see!    The last few years, my 5.5yo DS has made very infrequent complaints about his vision. Since he didn't bring it up regularly, I just kept forgetting about it. Last week he complained again, this time specifically saying, "Hey Mom. I can't see very well out of my left eye. It's really blurry." Fast-forward to today and turns out his vision is 20/200 in his left eye and 20/50 in his right. Poor guy can't see with his left eye!    I know he's...
This was our third, but not our last. We don't have a set limit, and we're just taking everything one child at a time. I'm only 27, so I feel like I still have quite a few child-bearing years ahead of me. It's funny, during and after the births of my first two, I thought "Never again! I'm not doing natural childbirth again!" And during this last labor, which was the hardest of the 3, I kept thinking, "I can't believe I'm going to be doing this again a few times over."...
Things are going really well over here for Little Louisa and the rest of the fam. We're one week out, and my perineum is still sore from the small tear--I recall feeling better sooner with DD1, but maybe I'm recalling incorrectly!    Louisa was pretty fussy the first few days, like she just wasn't happy in her own skin. My midwives mentioned a chiropractic adjustment while they were doing her newborn exam--so we took her to see a really awesome, baby-knowledgeable...
Oh Cerise--many, many tears of sorrow are being shed for you and your family. I felt literal pain when I read about your sweet angel Mateo. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
I know I only started posting here a few weeks ago, but I thought I'd share the birth story of my sweet Louisa Violet.   Sat, May 28 @ 5:45pm: I thought it would be fun to go to IKEA for dinner (can you say mashed potatoes and meatballs? LOL), and as I got out of the car I felt like I had peed my pants a little bit. I don't have a penchant for losing bladder control, even at 41 weeks of pregnancy, but I thought that maybe my time had come. As we were getting our...
Here's my Louisa Violet! We are all in love with her.