or Connect

Posts by keeksmom

You are right about the rubella vax being a consideration for girls. I was not specifically trying to avoid it, just solely focusing on measles. Good point, it would probably make sense to get her the MMR rather than just measles if that is even available.  
Thinking about starting selective vax with my unvaxed 13 yr. old dd. As the years have gone by I have begun to change my mind about no vax, especially since she has asthma and illness seems to hit her harder because of that. My current concern is: We saw her asthma doc last week and he wants her to go on Flovent. The side effects warn that contracting measles while on this drug can be serious and even fatal. So my questions are - do I get her the MMR right away? Is there...
Burnt out on unschooling. Dd is 13, only child, never been to school, we have always unschooled.   Unschooling has always been a joy with her, she is a great kid and I have always been grateful for the free life we have together. Like most homeschoolers I have had my times of doubt here and there, but mostly have been sure and steady on the unschooling path.   This year I have had doubts to the point of sinking into depression. Is it just time for something else?...
My dd was similar to yours. I did not want to push too hard and turn her off reading since, like your dd, she loved books. I waited for her to just get it. So, two sides to the story: She eventually just got it. It did seem to happen practically overnight, and she went straight into a 400-pg. chapter book with no problem. However, that did not happen until she was 12. I feel like she missed out, not reading during those years. I read to her, she listened to books on tape,...
Yes, comprehension is my concern, which is why I feel like it might be important to help her in some way rather than just have her learn as she goes... meanwhile mis-reading words in the kind of important, life-altering books she is beginning to read now. I do point out the right word most of the time, but I am aware that she gets embarrassed. She does not want help, she wants to hide what she does not know. I know she does not want ME to teach her phonics! I have...
DD, age 12, was a reluctant reader and struggled with reading until around age 10. She did not "get" phonics or sounding out words AT ALL, and learned to read by recognizing whole words. Now she can read fine on her own and is reading at what I would call adult level. However, often she will read something aloud, and get a word totally wrong, and it makes me wonder how much of that goes on when she is reading books. It has to affect her comprehension. For example...
I am struggling right now with the question of what my 12 yr. old unschooled dd needs, what exactly is my "job" here and how I can facilitate what she needs... DD has always been unschooled and is the kind of kid who never said "I'm bored"... We've been able to manage a good balance of busy stuff and down time, and she's always enjoyed having her time for drawing, reading, playing etc. Unschooling has worked for us all these years. Suddenly I am feeling like dd's...
Looking for suggestions for audiobooks/podcasts to compliment a roadtrip to DC/Maryland area. Either historically or geographically relevant. It will be dd (age 12) dh and I, and we'll be in the car many hours over the course of a week's trip. Dd does not think she is "into" history but loves audiobooks and I would say she is on an adult level as far as what I would choose for us. So far I have an abridged copy of Michener's Chesapeake, for our drive from Ocean City...
I couldn't believe it when I checked on this thread this morning, after not going on MDC for a week or so, and saw 72 posts! Thank you to everyone who replied. For some reason I thought the thread had died out after the first few replies and didn't realize it was going strong! The day I wrote the original post, I was feeling conflicted about our unschooling life. It was cathartic just to write that post, because it made me reflect on how the concerns that prompted it...
Maybe it's just that even after unschooling for many years I still can't believe this is OK. But it's harder to not have doubts now that I have a 12 yr. old unschooler. It seems like our LIFE just takes up all our time and we are not doing the "extra" stuff that I feel like unschoolers "should" be doing. What life is now for us: Maintaining the house/yard/animals (dog, rabbits, chickens). Preparing meals. Errands, food shopping. Getting outside for hikes, bike...