or Connect

Posts by lunabelly

Green veggies are going to be a challenge, but I will check out the nutrition site. The doc thinks he might have celiac.    Thanks for the suggestions.
Hello,    My son is six, and about a month ago he came home from school, and he couldn't breathe. The doctor didn't call it asthma, but it was an asthma-like episode. He was on a nebulizer for about a week. He still has a bit of a cough, mostly at night, but we're not using the nebulizer anymore. Also, though, he had pink eye right after that, and he's had diarrhea and vomiting off and on since then. He's allergic to wheat, and we haven't been great about keeping him off...
Hi Crispie,    Thanks for the info! I will definitely check out those guys. If everything goes smoothly, it looks like we're moving to Auburn. I'm having very mixed emotions about being back in my hometown. Yikes!   =) t. 
Hi Allison,    That's an exciting move! Are you enjoying the country life?   We are moving June 4 (plane tickets are purchased!) but we still don't know where we're going to live. We've been looking more at Auburn. My husband is waiting to hear whether or not he can telecommute for his current employer. If he can, Auburn might work for us because he wouldn't have to commute to Sacramento every day. I think I would still prefer Loomis, but the houses are cheaper...
Sorry for the delayed response. Life and all that. Thank you so much for these suggestions. I love the idea of counting different items to one hundred, and I've been eyeballing Qwirkle for a while. Time to jump on it.    We do have Life of Fred, but he hasn't been very interested in it.    SweetSilver, I've seen a few sets of wooden pattern blocks. Is there a brand that you recommend?   He loves timing himself, so we've been doing some of that, and he also...
Ooh, those books sound good. I will check them out. I read to him every morning, and he loves The Magic Tree House books (which I read) but I guess he's not really interested in picture books anymore-- or maybe just right now-- because he always refuses those. He's listening to _The Mysterious Benedict Society_ series on audio, and it's really long. I like it as much as he does, but maybe I could find some other long chapter books to read to him. Thanks for the...
I have been trying to get him to do fun things like games and art, but he doesn't even want to do that for the most part. I'll end up saying, "Ok, well I'm just going to do this by myself while you listen to your story" and start an art project on my own, and that usually draws him into it. He despises worksheets because that's all they did in school, so I'm not using them at all.    Thank you for your suggestions. I will check out all that good stuff.    And...
I pulled ds out of kindergarten and am homeschooling him. He is so resistant to doing anything except listening to stories, but he can listen to stories for hours and hours. My friend says we should just spend a month listening to stories, and then slowly pick back up where we left off with his other subjects. While I agree with her in theory, I find it really hard in practice. I'm mostly worried that he's going to fall behind in math.    I guess I just need a pep...
Hi Allison,    Happy New Year to you!    14 months is such a great age. That's how old ds was when we moved out here. Time has flown.    I have friends who graduated from a Waldorf school (here in MA). They loved it, and they are amazing teens, too!    I'm afraid we've already strayed too far off the Waldorf path, but I did see that there's a Montessori charter in Rocklin. That seems promising.    My daughter is freaked out about the size of the high...
We hadn't heard great things about the curriculum at our local PS (all worksheets), and I had concerns about some safety issues as well, so I had been thinking about HS before ds started kindy, but I started a new job, and it didn't seem like the right time. I thought we'd try out kindergarten and see how it went. We were told that we were lucky because his teacher was the best of the bunch. I volunteered in the classroom and in the library once a week, and the teacher...