or Connect

Posts by jgale

Well rnra, the main thing that comes to mind for me in answer to your question is that almost always, the only midwives practicing in hospitals would be cnm's or cm's. that is not necessarily the case for home birth midwives
1)I am a CNM I think midwifery is a great profession and i would defintely encourage others to pursue it. Also, although nursing was purely a means to an end for me, I am proud to be a nurse as well. 2) becoming a CNM was a better choice for me for the flexibility and financial security it provides. I appreciated the more structured educational route and the diversity of practice styles I was able to experience as a student (hospital and birth center). I also had amazing...
Pickle, sorry to hear you had such a hard experience with Suzuki before. I feel like in our house practice sessions often have the potential to turn horribly contentious and I think because I have been reluctant to engage in fights and battles with my kids that they have not progressed very quickly (
He sounds EXACTLY like my 8-year old first-born son, just minus the interest in legos.    I have been finding it really hard to figure out what to do with my kids on the weekends and holidays from school because he objects to everything that the littler kids would enjoy.   My DS who is also interested in Greek mythology has read all of the Rick Riordan books and really enjoyed them--perhaps your would like them as well.   Glad to hear that this is normal...
Thanks for the role call suggestion. I have a ds 8 who has done non-Suzuki piano for 3 years. It has been a total slog for the past year and after taking the summer off he is adamant that he doesn't want to continue. I would really like him to continue with an instrument and when I asked him what he'd like to play he said "French horn". I think that's a terrible idea because he has a fairly low frustration threshold but we live in Philadelphia where lessons in every...
I think the best for this age group is the Curious George collection.  Now whenever a good friend has a new baby, I get them a copy of the hard cover Complete Curious George with the audio CD's included.  I think young kids are sometimes more open to audio books if they have heard the stories read outloud before and/or if they can look at the book as well.    My oldest (who is now 8) used to stand in his learning tower in the kitchen turning the pages of the book...
I attended a home birth as a 'second pair of hands' with my 3-month old daughter. The midwives in the practice (who had delivered my kids) had 2 deliveries happening at once so they called me to see if I could help out. I think since I was the second midwife and because the laboring woman had a lot of support, it worked out okay. As it happened, there was a bit of an emergency with the placenta and I had to hand my baby off really fast to the lady's sister so I could...
Just wanted to comment on the malpractice issue--as a CNM who is required by law to carry malpractice insurance, it IS prohibitively expensive in my state and has contributed to the dearth of homebirth CNM's who are the only midwives in this state who are regulated and legal.  (CPM's have to practice under the radar so their clients to not get the benefit of having an open and upfront collaboration with MD's and hospitals when necessary).   What if your child...
I don't have a translocation myself, but I am a midwife and I work at a hospital where all the women we care for are carrying a baby with some kind of birth defect.  So we see a lot of genetic issues and I have cared for a number of families with translocations.  I'm sure you know that you can have a microarray done from a CVS that can diagnose a translocation relatively early in a pregnancy.  What a stressful situation for you and your family.   Jessi
Thanks for the suggestions.  He did read the Wimpy kid books this summer.  I hadn't seen Redwall before.  He might be interested in that.  Thanks so much.   J