or Connect

Posts by jgale

Thanks
I just had a baby and was moved to write a post on my blog on this very topic... http://jessial-home.blogspot.com/2011/05/in-gratitide.html   I love everybody's beautiful pictures...
Hi everyone. I'm a nurse-midwife. I had 4 homebirths myself and love and appreciate my midwives who cared for me in my pregnancies (all happened to be CNM's). For a variety of reasons--mostly kid/lifestyle related and financial, I practice in a hospital. I have regular hours and make a decent living and am able to provide compassionate, midwifery care to my patients. Sometimes I feel like I'm not a 'real' midwife because I work in a pretty medical environment, but I...
Sorry to have gotten off-topic with the birth center issue--as I said, just a pet peeve of mine.  And my question was sort of rhetorical.  I haven't interpreted Liz's comments to be anti-homebirth at all.    I think the issue of competence in healthcare providers is not strictly a homebirth issue.  It may be that in a homebirth setting, women and their babies are more vulnerable to the mistakes of incompetent providers because there are no other "eyes" on the...
I have found this to be a really interesting discussion and particularly appreciate the requests for transparency in OB care (and health care in general).    Having worked in both home, birth center and hospital environments, I must agree with the midwife who attended my first birth: she used to tell clients "It's not the 4 walls that make you safe or unsafe--it's your attendants."  I believe that is so true.  I have seen some truly dangerous and scary providers in...
Thanks for your thoughts.  Why wouldn't you use it for a booster?  J
Gosh, what a horrible story.  No wonder you are tramatized!  I read your first post and was a little perplexed, but it makes sense to me now.   I honestly don't think you can do a baby moon without help--at least for your 3 year old if nothing else.  If you can afford it, I would pay a babysitter to come and take her somewhere a few hours each day.  Stock your freezer with food that needs little or no preparation or have folks bring stuff.  Stay in your pajamas all...
She's in a Britax convertible car seat--can't remember the make at the moment.  We've used it for her since she was a newborn, but she's going to be too tall for it soon. I'm not sure whether the Evenflo was the generations or generations 65--do you have different opinions about them?  thanks, J    
I am able to get the Evenflo Generations combination carseat booster from my work at a discount (I work at a children's hospital).  I have a tall, skinny 4 year old who is about to outgrow her car seat.  I had been thinking of getting the Britax frontier (as per the recommendations on this board) but it is basically $150-200 more than what I would pay for this seat through my work.   Does anyone have any experience with it?  Is there a really good reason not to get...
We've had this same issue.  My mother (respectfully) would really really really like to know when I go into labor--I think she wants to be able to light a candle or say a prayer or something.  In her case, I think it comes from a good, loving place, not a nosy, controlling place.  However, for all the reasons discussed above, I decided not to tell anyone when I went into labor.  Having been on the other side--waiting anxiously by the phone while I know a loved one is in...