or Connect

Posts by galadriel

I enjoyed that book when I read it, too. I had no idea about all this other stuff.
Thank you for your thoughtful and articulate post, Miranda.  I agree about the value of occasional leadership in situations where kids are expressing a need for it.  However, I do not agree that Neufeld is encouraging that.  He is prescribing authority.    The emphasis in Neufeld's work is overwhelmingly on the cooperation of the children.  He begins his presentations with the stated goal of "making parenting easier".   It's not to make kids happier, or more...
In my local unschooling community, Gordon Neufeld is very popular. I can't quite figure this out, because he's all about parents getting in touch with their "Alpha Instincts" and being strong leaders, about getting kids to want to please you, to get cooperation. It's all about the parents. I'm a radical unschooler, so I have a particular point of view about what respecting my children means, but for me, I consider myself their more experienced tour guide, not their...
We're eclectic unschoolers with lazured walls, and we pay attention to the rhythm of our days. We have fairies and do handwork and tell stories about math operations and pay attention to the wheel of the year. Because it's beautiful and FUN! Nevertheless, we spend a lot of time on the computer and so forth, and Steiner can bite me.
I'm reading my 6 yr old Trixie Belden: Mystery in Arizona. I loved this series when I was a kid, as did my mom.
We love the math stories from City Creek Press. It's great if your child loves stories.
We've been taking lots of field trips to museums, aquarium, and so forth, planting the garden, and having lots of parties for stuffed animals...and planets. DD has been really into "Addition the Fun Way" by Judy Liautaud-- this works well for her, because she remembers stories so very well. They were writing valentines to relatives for weeks, and now we're moving into easter type things. We just set up an easter egg tree yesterday, and we've started decorating...
I went a couple of years ago. I was really bored, mostly because my kids were little, and I was too busy keeping an eye on them to socialize. I think it would be more fun for all of us when the kids are older-- more stuff they can actually fully participate in, and more possible for me to connect with others. It was also really chaotic, which many enjoy, but I personally do not.
After we all wake up and have breakfast, we often make a list together of what to do with our day. They (5 & 3) usually pick stuff like library, audiobook, math, reading, arts projects, music, games, stories, field trip, etc. I usually pick stuff like "shower" "clean kitchen" or "phone calls". (Yes, I actually have to schedule things like showers.) We don't always stick to it, but we all like a little structure and we all get bored easily, so this way we can all...
Thanks for the responses. MoreThanApplesauce, I too must say I share the issues you listed and tend to attribute to homeschooling, although I attended public school throughout. It seems natural to attribute our struggles to our particular life circumstances. So perhaps it does have to do with how individuals are; I don't know. Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but: does anybody have any insight on the intricacies of friendships or close relationships with...