or Connect

Posts by AahRee

***I'm not sure which category to put this in, so mods, please move if needed!*** I need to compile a list of options, with pros and cons, for DD's education, and I need to do it asap. We are heading into parent/teacher conference week next week, and we want to know our options and our preferences before our meeting. A little background: DD is in 2nd grade, in a 2/3 split. She turned 7 in May, so she's a later birthday/younger 2nd grader. She has always been quite...
I got pulled over last November in front of DD's school last year. I wasn't speeding, didn't make an illegal turn, etc, so I had no idea what I was being pulled over for. Well, apparently the DMV lost part of our mailing address and didn't send our tab renewal notice in the mail. And because we'd always gotten a notice before, we didn't realize it was overdue. In fact, it was actually four months overdue at that point! Several hundred dollars later, we learned to put the...
DD's BFF got her first bra yesterday. BFF is 8, DD is 7. I wasn't thinking this would even be on the radar yet. For those of you who have DDs who are in bras already, what age were they when they got their first? (DH is totally horrified by the idea of his baby needing a bra, so if this is likely to be needed soon, I'm going to have to lay some serious ground work for him... )
I just had to jump back in and say that I'm a little envious of those of you who kept your own last names. I love my maiden name and although I kept it as a middle name, I wish I had kept it as my last name. At the time, I thought it would be too confusing if/when we had kids, but DH didn't care in the slightest, so I wish I'd gone for it. *sigh* So, yeah, defend your name!
I think it's because weddings have a lot of tradition involved, and a lot of traditional etiquette is often incorporated, even by otherwise non-traditional folks. If it bugs you, I'd make a funny, lighthearted little statement on your wedding website/blog (if you have one) - something to the effect of, "BTW... we're still going to just be Ms. ProtoLawyer YourLast and Mr. HisFirst HisLast... please don't send things to Mr. & Mrs. HisFirst HisLast... it's confusing the...
Quote: Originally Posted by 1growingsprout The district out here is starting to do this as well. I dont know how well its going over but my neighbor said if the school has any questions she would be willing to refer them to her dr (and the dr wont be able to help them anyway since there isnt a release of info on file) Schools dont need to know every intimate detail of her kids lives. **I wonder if the same schools get the same list of symptoms from...
Quote: Originally Posted by sunnmama lol Our school is satisfied with "she was ill". If not, I would probably be honest and not think much of it. But, if the real reason were something I did not want to share, I'd lie without a moment of guilt. "She had a stomachache" is nice and vague. I normally would probably just be honest as well, but the way it was stated (you *have* to tell us) really rubbed me the wrong way. Plus, they caught me...
Quote: Originally Posted by aniT Yes it is very intrusive. And I hate being held hostage by homework. Homework needs to go. My husband's school (he teaches 2nd grade, but not at my DD's school) did away with homework last year and the year before. They adopted a new math curriculum this year and it has a homework aspect, so they've added it back in, but I know my DH preferred not giving homework. His school has a high percentage of kids whose...
I do maternity, infant and birth photography as well (you can check out my website in my signature), but I can also recommend Sindea, if my work isn't your style. She's a friend of mine, and is also a doula, so I know you'd be in good hands with her. (BTW... Craig's List is really not a great place to look for local photogs, because the ones who advertise there tend to be amateurs who are just starting to try to be "pros" - not always, but usually. A great resource for...
Some Christians (and I am a Christian, so I'm not trying to bash Christians by saying this...) have a habit of taking issues that are NOT bedrock faith/salvation issues (like family size/family planning) and making them into the kinds of issues they'd kill or die over. It's unfortunate, and IMO gives a very ungraceful view of Christianity to those outside of the faith. We're a Christian family of three - DD is an only child and will remain so unless we adopt. We have...