or Connect

Posts by junie

Wanted to pipe up with a thought I didn't see mentioned.  Many posters have suggested you stay out of it because this is your dh's relationship with his parents.  I do agree, to a point.  It's really up to your dh how he wants to interact with his parents, but you have a daughter, and your FIL is your daughter's grandfather.  My opinion, and I do realize it's MY opinion, is that it's my responsibility to ensure my children have a chance at a relationship with relatives,...
Dd would be Hickory Sticks and ds would be Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!
I just wanted to add that my mother was a career women. She had to work for financial reasons, but she also wanted to work, and the job she had, and still has, was her dream job. I wanted to mention this so that people know that my previous post wasn't an example of a woman who worked in a crappy low-paying job, but one of a woman who followed, and realized, her childhood dreams.
I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I wanted to share a personal example that I think illustrates that the most important thing is to encourage your daughter to follow her dreams, regardless of what they are. When I was growing up, my mother ALWAYS worked (I think maybe she stayed home for the first 6 months of my life, but that was it. I was actually lucky because she went back to work 4 days after my brother was born). She had to work, couldn't afford to...
Quote: Originally Posted by BunnySlippers I remembered the most awkward moments of my life today Last year on family day dd and I went to a restaurant offering free dinner for families. It was very crowded, very very crowded. All through dinner I had to fart soo bad! but I held it all in to be polite. After lingering over our meal I stood up to pull on my jacket and in a moment of relaxation totally forgot about the build up of fart I was holding in....
It's nice to find like-minded people! I'm not bashing goal-setting by any means. I agree with the previous poster who said that if a teenager knows where they want to go in life, more power to them. My problem with the graduation speech was that he was specifically bashing uncertainty. If someone knows what they want - great. And there's certainly validity to the point that starting something, even if you're not sure it's what you really want, can be a good...
Quote: Originally Posted by SagMom Forgive me, but I had to laugh at the "even if you have to make it up" part. What, exactly, does he think THAT would accomplish? It's funny you say this. When I went home later and told my husband about it, he almost didn't believe me, lol. His reaction was "You're making that up. There's no way he said that." He said it jokingly, of course, but he was still baffled.
I'm not really looking for advice, just a place to vent with some, hopefully, like-minded people. So here goes. Earlier this evening, I went to my 17-year-old cousin's high school graduation. I went because I adore my cousin. She's like a little sister to me. Both her parents passed away by the time she was 8, so she went to live with my parents and they've been raising her ever since. Although she and I were close even before that. Anyway, I really wanted to be...
Not to be blase about what you did, but really if your sister didn't want your mother to accidentally find out, she shouldn't have posted it on facebook. You have NO reason to feel guilty. This is her own fault. I know that doesn't really help you "fix" things, but hopefully it will help you feel less guilty.
Quote: Originally Posted by Purple Sage But who gets to decide what the intrinsic value of something is? No one. The value of any particular person or thing boils down to their potential, and that doesn't change even if they're not utilizing that potential or that potential isn't being appreciated. For example, my husband enjoys drawing. I would say he has intrinsic value as an artist because he possesses the potential to draw well. He...