or Connect

Posts by Liam's Mum

OMG I can so relate to all of this: was going to go straight to the convertible seat but thought the infant seat would be handy -- wrong couldn't use the infant seat with the stroller because he hated that too; tried him as soon as I could in the regular stroller, he hated that; mostly wore him for walks, but he'd actually cry then too, until he fell asleep I even tried giving him a soother for the car, he never took it he would usually eventually fall asleep...
all awesome suggestions, thanks so much!
We're all over the place -- some co-sleeping, some crib sleeping, sometimes in the same room, sometimes different...Both boys start off their night in their own rooms though they are free to join us and/or we go to them. Even when they were in cribs in their own rooms, though, I agree with others, I still responded every single time, it was not a case of trying to force independence or anything. Yeah, I was worried when I had my first that I might not hear him, even with a...
At 3 we were doing bath (every other night), teeth, jammies, stories, then mommy (and often daddy too) would stay with him until he fell asleep. We figured it was extra cuddle time (we work f/t) and it was pleasant, no running up and down the hall trying to get him to stay put, and he fell asleep pretty quickly. If he tried to keep chatting, I'd say "it's sleep time" and not engage in conversation. I was a bit worried what would happen when DS2 was born, because *I* always...
Yeah, I think it's kinda funny a ped is giving out discipline advice, but they do like to think they are experts all-around don't they? We don't do time-outs at all, but I really don't get how a 12 mos old would stay in one anyway! Anything I really don't want the kids to touch, I put away and out of sight. Stuff I would prefer they don't touch but I'm OK with losing should it accidentally get broken or something, I just keep redirecting them away from, trying to...
Yup, mine hated his infant seat too, I think the position traps gas in their little tummies sometimes When at stores I'd immediately take him out and put him in the carrier, and use the travel system as my shopping cart! He was a much happier baby after the 4 mos mark, and much more comfortable in his convertible rf seat, I have big boys and they didn't fit in the infant seat too long (though I could have moved him to the big seat earlier in retrospect, I just wasn't...
LMBO I can't go through this entire thing, but wow, I guess we all have our little things. I've been known to call my boys "buddy", definitely with affection (same as I call them sweetie pie, pumpkin, monkey...) and definitely NOT to toughen them up or make them manly or denigrate them LOL I *think* I can see the issue, I mean, "buddy" can be said rudely, but it's the tone that makes it so, not the word. You can say lots of nice words in a rude way. Someone made a good...
My almost 5 year old has been the same for some time now, seems to focus on the negative (the other day for example he had an awesome day with his dad at a water park, DH keeps going on and on about how much fun they had, and DS came home with a scowl on his face, because DH didn't buy him a toy on the way out!) This is just one example, but it seems like the one small, not-so-perfect thing that happens to him in a day ruins his outlook on everything else! He wasn't like...
I hope this fits here and makes sense... I recently started tutoring a 6 yr old (going into gr. 2) in reading -- it is through our regional Learning Disabilities association, though he doesn't actually have one (they take kids in the program without a diagnosis, but it's not even suspected he has one, his mom just wants him to get extra help with reading). Because of the timing of my getting involved in this, I haven't actually received any formal training through the...
We've always modelled it by speaking to them that way from day one, so they kind of picked up on it naturally, my 20 mos old says please and thank you, usually unprompted. If they ask for something without saying please but very politely, I probably don't even notice, because tone of voice also means a lot (probably more -- as we're trying to teach our older DS who sometimes forgets his manners, and then seems to think if he growls please it makes it all OK...) We will...