or Connect

Posts by GuildJenn

Yes and you have a right to your narrative. I might not agree with your conclusions but I have never come into one of your discussions to negate it because it's yours, even if I think it was a tragedy you got so much support for staying home and so little support way earlier in your pregnancy for help, real help, dealing with your very very real trauma so that when it came down to it you could have had a whole web of professionals that you knew waiting for you when/if you ...
That's not true, except in B.C. Homebirth advocates like to skew their numbers, but it doesn't change that it's been pretty consistent. Even on this board the deaths (erased, in previous moderation) have been pretty horrific.   I don't need a lecture on PTSD thanks.  
This is what I found heartbreaking in this thread. How you just write that off, and yet the "risk" of an epidural - oh no, a headache - is somehow comparable. Also - just say no to the epidural if that's your main concern, honestly. Epidurals are not synonymous with hospital delivery.   When women who have been in that 1% - although the poster in this thread wasn't; her child survived, but with significant damage - no one listens. There's a lot of FEAR that somehow that...
You know, I'm not a homebirth supporter but I am a loss mom and a longtime member of MDC and I'm ashamed reading this thread.   When women come and talk about the trauma they've experienced in hospital, generally they are supported. The same regarding c-sections. That the homebirth community doesn't seem to be able to listen to the same is probably one of the main things that keeps me from being a supporter. And I want to be.   There was no need to attack this...
The special snowflake comes at least in part from the movie Fight Club: "Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."   The same character (who is pretty scary) says: "Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with...
#1 and #3 are automatic deal breakers for me. I know it's resolved, but as you go forward with the next situation I thought I would back you up on that. :)
This.   A lot of little kid "fantasy" is really repeating narratives the adults have given them.   To expand...we're now Montessori grads - until my baby is old enough to start - but as someone who works in a creative field and writes fantasy, I have to say that most, if not all, imagination actually starts in the real. In order to share with other people - paint, write, talk about - fairies, for example, you have to have the concept of what wings might look like -...
That's actually one of the reasons I do practice it with my kids (and have with kids where I was standing in loco parentis). The bread rule, where and how you put your napkin down, etc. don't bother me at all just 'cause I've done it long enough that the 'proper' way doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the meal.   I worked where I attended formal Chinese meals a few times and that never quite got comfortable; I'm not great with chopsticks and the slurping was...
There's a big difference between table manners, which vary a lot not just from culture to culture but even by region within a culture, and basic respect. Dripping sauce on someone else isn't respectful. Eating with the correct hand in Ethiopia or slurping your noodles and belching to show your pleasure with a Chinese meal are table manners - good to know, but not quite in the same category, IMO, as actually being disruptive.   My DH and I went through a French Laundry...
I've found at various points that the biggest thing that helps overall is to have things more or less the same. So no, we don't always eat the latest Cooking Light recipe; we have about three weeks' worth of menus we rotate, but then making each one becomes automatic and I don't have to spend energy thinking about it at any end - shopping, chopping, cooking. Same thing with lunches and snacks - I don't go for endless variety or fanciness, but healthy and wholesome and...