or Connect

Posts by SarahLi

I sent it through the intactamerica email, but I used my own words. Don't know if it will make a difference, but it feels good to be involved. Quote: Dear AAP, Recommending circumcision to reduce the risk of STDs is akin to recommending the withdrawal method to reduce pregnancy. The STD rate in the U.S. is already high. I don't think it would be wise to put the idea in people's minds that circumcision provides protection against disease. 1) What...
Have you thought about just doing nursing? My dh is military and I can get a part-time job in a week after we pcs. I've never worked more than 24 hours a week, there are some months where I only worked 8 hours a week depending on our situation. I always think about moving into something else, but I love the flexibility so much, and I also want to homeschool, so I don't think I will. Right now DH is deployed and I'm working 10pm-6am 3 times a week; it's nice because...
I'd carry him on my back in the kozy, but he hasn't wanted to do that in a long time. We have a harness but I don't see how it could clip on securely. The shopping cart works fine, as long as there is a safety belt that works well. I know that I can't rely on that all the time now. I found this one on Amazon (I guess there is only one on the whole site?) So I think I will get that one unless anyone else has another recommendation.
DS is a real squirmer and has difficulty sitting still anywhere, including the shopping cart. I always pick a cart with a good belt and tighten it as much as possible (because he can twist out of it if it is too loose). Well we were at the thrift store today and all of the carts there are old and I couldn't find one with a working belt, so I just put him in. When I was bending down to get a pair of shoes, he stood up and somersaulted out to the floor, landing on his...
If all Americans could have affordable health insurance, that would be wonderful. People without insurance get hit with fees over 1000.00 all the time; it only takes a trip to the ER. Besides- Fox news has complained about everything else this president has done, from buying a dog to taking his wife out on a date.
For premature babies it can be too low in calories, that's why some moms fortify if they're pumping and the baby needs more calories. For a full term baby, it's doubtful. I agree with a previous poster that said to look at how the infant is feeding, and which growth chart is being used.
The hospital I work at in CA is going to go for baby-friendly certification this year. The majority of patients at this hospital are bilingual or only Spanish-speaking. The hospital also has a 94% in-hospital bf rate. Actually the entire county here has over 90% in-hospital bf rates, with 3 hospitals. Part of the success is the system- the postpartum unit basically revolves around trying to create bf success; part may be the location- coastal CA, which is more liberal...
I think that nurse-ins are effective for change... I think that the most effective catalyst for change is women to breastfeed in public, without blankets, as much as possible. Sometimes it is awkward for some people to see it the first time, but maybe if they see it A LOT they will just get over it.
We've only been in CA for a short while, so I'm not familiar with the different cities. What's in Santa Barbara?
Dh has Thanskgiving week off. and we'd like to get away for 3-5 days. We live in Monterey and I'd like to take a vacation within driving distance. Somewhere relaxing and do a lot of activities outdoors. With the wild toddler, mountain climbing, backpacking etc are out. I thought yosemite sounded nice until I read about tire chains and snow closures. Don't want to risk that. I'm thinking maybe San Diego zoo and something else around there? DS would love that. ...