or Connect

Posts by triscuitsmom

I was an active member of this board including being a vocal non vaccinator. I was a supporter monetarily of MDC and a supporter of people looking for support and information here. I have to say to be told I'm now no longer welcome to share given that my experience isn't unique and I don't think people are terrible. I was there. I was the same. I think it's valid to point out I wasn't different and now what I hear is hurtful. I get the objection but it sure smacks of you...
  That line I bolded? That's over the top offensive.   Two reasons... One: You can pass it on to someone who can't deal with it. Easily in fact as many of these things are easily transmitted and contagious before they are bad enough to be diagnosed.   Two: You are making these decisions not just for yourself but for your child and your child may not be able to deal with it just by virtue of being in a higher risk category based on age (and if your child is old enough to...
  There is a difference between doing what you can and having a bit of luck and a hard line though. A SAD eating, smoking, non exercising person can be exposed to pertussis and be fine. One doesn't actually equal the other. You are doing good things for your health and that's great but it's doesn't mean you're unable to catch those things, only that you havn't.   Also shingles isn't caused by being exposed to a child with chicken pox, though it can happen the other way...
  That's great advice, in theory.   When you have biased information being passed along by a whole bunch of people in one place (ie MDC in this case) on either homebirth risks or VPD risks and vaccine risks it's a little bit more difficult to wade through especially since many people start out by asking for advice saying they don't know a lot about the given subject.   Telling someone that has risk factors to just trust their intuition and stay home is dangerous. Telling...
It wasn't "bad luck" that I got pertussis. Or rather it was, and yet not a rare, unbelievable thing to have happen. Having my newborn contract it was terrible luck, but considering he was exposed to someone (me) on Day 1 of life again not something that is shocking. You act as though it will be only "bad luck" and not something that can be predicted.   Forgive me if I sound upset but I am. This is offensive. I do regret my decision. Why is it not OK for me to say...
Yes 100 days is typical. It can be much much longer than that to fully heal in the very young, the elderly, and those with already fragile lungs. You aren't a carrier for that long. You can only pass it on as long as the bacteria is present (which is one reason for giving antibiotics even after they'll have no effect on the illness itself). The bacteria produce the toxin, the toxin damages the cilia, that causes the cough and even once the bacteria is gone the cough...
  We can't, you're right. But neither can you. And we can point out flaws that make it unlikely.   It does matter, even if you don't think that vaccines are the be all end all, when hysteria starts making people make decisions out of fear. 
  Yeah maybe. Or maybe it makes a great story to add to the paranoia for which people who are anti vaccination get famous for.   I don't think that anyone should vaccinate their child or not vaccinate their child without knowing what the actual research says. I do know that that doing no research and vaccinating is far more common than doing no research and not vaccinating. However the rampant paranoia and hysteria does NOTHING to make the situation better. It makes it...
  Agreed.   Probably not Hep A either unless I am reading the CDC website wrong. It appears that it is only given after 24 months to those who are high risk or who live in states where a widespread mandatory vaccination program is in place (ie it is required for school/daycare) which Indiana is not on that list (which is her location according to the blog.
I have three kids. The first has no tie issues... his tongue and lips are fully mobile. Second one has both a lip and a tongue tie which I did not get fixed because he was gaining weight so beautifully. Third one had significant oral defects that caused us huge challenges in feeding and growing. He had his anterior tie clipped and then later his posterior tie done as well.   I will say I have zero regrets about fixing the ties on DS3. It simply for him was a matter...