or Connect

Posts by In Exile

My mom is from Ukraine and we had similiar issues. While she did not really expect me to do things "her way" (after 30 years she know I'm doing what I think is best)-but she was "nagging" me toward insanity when she first came over to meet her Grandson. She came over for a 4 week visit and it nearly escalated. All I wanted to do is get her a ticket for the next plane home, was awful. I had one big blowout, she was non stop nagging about things like chair covers, that I...
My Ex Husband (Us American) would pull stuff like that with me, non stop. (I am German) But then he also was an abusive piece of UA Violation. And in the mind of an abuser ANYTHING goes to put you down-whether is your height, hair colour or origin. Even the day of the divorce he tried to tell me "no wonder nobody trusts you, nobody trusts an East German".... There was a lot of stuff I listened to in 5 years. DH and I certainly disagree (I am a Euro loudmouth) on...
Yeah, please don't name any child ADOLPH. The boy is really going to suffer- that name propably won't be used at all thanks to History. Also Karl-Heinz and other combos like that are still grinned at. They sort of bring up the picture of an overweight guy with a huge beer belly, most likely in his 50ies. Was very popular right after WWII. In the German-American communities I know names that can be pronounced both ways are popular. A lot of...
Quote: Originally Posted by shuttlt Just so we're clear, I'm not wagging any moral fingers at anybody. No, I was not taking it as such. I thought we were debating the abstract concept of "moral guilting" as happening daily through family pressure, Doctor's Offices and the Media as "little helpers".
The little one is born with a higher chance of a blood clotting disorder and the parents want to put a healthy child under genereal anaestesia? Some people are friggin' unbelievable. Did they circ the adopted twins? Sounds like a hardcore circer to me who won't stop at all cost until all kids are circed. So sorry but I don't think you will change the mind of somebody who goes to those kind of measures to make sure the kids are cut. Some people just don't understand...
Quote: Originally Posted by shuttlt ... Well, in relation to the "free ride" thing, I think the criticism at the root of it is a moral one, that you are putting your welfare above the welfare of the community. If one is going to discuss whether the criticism is based on a true understanding of the facts, then I agree with you that that can only come from an understanding of the theories you mention. I think it's a given that the criticism is based on a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Gitti I believe it depends on the child. Every human being is an individual and handles diseases in their own unique way. That 's why vaccinating everyone with the same dose at the same time makes no sense at all. I have one partially and two completely vax free grandchildren. All three run fevers when they get sick. My son always ran high fevers when he was sick while my two dd did not. All three had had some (very few back...
I said to my husband "over my dead body, never!" and I am not embellishing this. I never ever would have done this to a child. There was not a single doubt on my mind, ever. (I'm European, so that might be an explanation) If my husband ever truly wanted that- though luck, would have never happened. Circumcision is one of the most barbaric things mankind ever came up with and it is the one thing I will never miss back in Europe- you don't really have to wonder whether...
A friend of mine did not vax the second kid, first one selectively and they just went to Germany. (Husband-Army) Was not an issue and I never heard from non-vaxers going to Germany about issues. The only issue you might encounter in Germany on the base is that they will give you the runaround for using their onbase childcare facilities. (they might refuse) I that case look for a nice "Kinderladen" oder other Kindergarten- a lot of kids are unvaxed.
Congrats Mom on your little boy! My little (intact) guy had to be admitted to a Level II Unit and I even remember having quite the "intactivist" rant there with the head nurse at 2 am or so- when I came back from pumping and they we're all happy he was going to stay intact. Nobody bat an eyelash or even asked us-the info "do not even dare to touch his foreskin" was in our chart and nobody ever bothered us. Some stupid ped said "oh, well, that's an option as well",...