or Connect

Posts by lisawhip

I may or may not have been misjudged due to my parenting style--by one so called "team" or another. But I really don't know because raising Camille takes up so much of my time and energy, and because I am confident that the choices I make are the right ones for us, that I can't be bothered to notice if someone's looking down on me for nursing in public or using a stroller or whatever. And if I did notice, why on earth would I care? There was one time...this wasn't...
I'm not sure why this is, but I've found that if a baby is wearing Robeez shoes, I have a good chance of having a whole lot in common with regard to parenting with his/her mom. But that's not to say that if I see a kid with another brand of shoe--or no shoes--I assume I don't have anything in common. It's just something I've noticed.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a very specific question on CIO—I am not going to let my baby CIO and I absolutely do not want to start a flame fest… Does anyone know if there have been any studies done on the effects of CIO on babies/children? Sleep is a big problem for us, and I have been hearing a lot on either side of the CIO issue. Personally, I can’t do it, but I am curious. I have read Ferber and Weissbluth (we were given the books), and I was impressed by the...
I get 6 hours a week (3 hours, 2 days) of babysitting by the woman who was my birth and postpartum doula. I use it to do errands, go to the gym, use the computer, etc. The other day, I realized all I was doing was looking at pictures of Camille on our family website--and she was right upstairs! hee hee.
(my first post!) What bothers me about the labels is that in identifying someone as “mainstream” or “AP” or whatever assumes that you know what is going on in the heart and mind of that mother. I’m lucky to live in a place where the alternative model of birth and parenting is greatly supported (almost a mainstream in itself here in Seattle), and I feel like I have kind of an interesting perspective on the dichotomy. Never have I felt on the defensive for the “AP”-ish...