or Connect

Posts by Shannie77

My daughter started having extremely intense tantrums starting after she turned 3.  Sometimes she have several in one day and often they would last for up to an hour.  She would also hit and bite herself etc.  It was really disturbing and nothing seemed to help. She was also becoming very oppositional.  Basically EVERY thing became a battle.  Something as simple as going outside to play could cause a tantrum because she wouldn't put shoes on, or we couldn't find X...
My DD's are exactly 3 years apart.  They will be 2 and 5 in May.  We do a lot of the things anjsmama mentioned.  My DD's get a long really well (we have other challenges but this is the one area that has been easy for us.)       They each only have a couple toys that are specifically for one of the other (the each have one baby doll that is their own and a stuffed animal).  The rest of the toys are both of theirs.  Even before DD2 was born I started reminded DD1 that the...
DD1 will be 5 in May - she does ballet (30 mins), swim (30 mins) and jazz/tap (1 hour)   Each is once a week.   DD2 - 2 in may does swimming with DD1
DD started using her balance bike just after she turned two, but we had to modify it because she was too short.   She also couldn't reach trike wheels until closer to three.  I like the radio flyer trike because it is light and easy to pedal.  Our neighbour had a disney princess trike and her kid had trouble peddling it even at 4 and 5 because it was so heavy.   My DD used this too (shared with another neighbour) and loved...
My DD2 is 18 months and she has maybe 200 words or more... not really sure. She says "mine", and "me" if you ask "who wants..." She rarely says her name.  She CAN say it but she doesn't really use it at all.  She does however say her sisters name all the time "Everly"... although it sounds like "Ed-da-deee". 
My mom started when I was 2 and it did not go well.  It was months before I was trained.  With my three younger sisters she waited until they were 2.5 and they all potty learned in a week or two.   DD1 was eced from 6 months and was basically accident free by 13 months.  By 18 months she was 100% done.   DD2 has not been eced and we are trying to get a catch or two each day.  She is 18 months.
We are actually seeing a clinical psychologist for similar issues with our daughter.   I just couldn't take the tantrums anymore (and 90% of the time they are just at home).  It just felt like everything was a struggle.  Just getting into the car was an issue...   We have seen HUGE improvements since my husband and I started seeing the psychologist.  We are using the Incredible Years Parenting Program (you can google to find the website & book).  It is very similar...
What you are describing is exactly what our psychologist has us doing... commenting on every single move.  Definitely feel silly doing it but you do get used to is.  It sounds like we are doing PCIT as well. ;)   Also like you the first half was all about building the connection and not focusing on the discipline.  Right now we are working on ignoring bad behaviours (ones that can be ignored).  It is amazing how much I have found we interact with our daughter when she is...
I had read all the books that are usually recommended on mothering.com.  I really enjoyed them but I didn't find anything was really giving a PLAN of action.  My daughter is 4 and in the last year she has been having more and more violent temper tantrums and was acting more and more defiant.  When she was behaving she was happy and joyful.  Anyways finally we had had enough and went to a child psychologist who has been AMAZING!!  We have had a HUGE turn around.  Our...
I am seeing a wonderful psychologist for similar issues with my daughter and the above is what she recommended and what is working for us.  We do the one and one play as suggested.  We use a visual schedule now and follow much stricter routines.  We have seen big improvements in our daughter.  Our psychologist recommended the book "The Incredible Years".  It definitely isn't Alfie Khon but it is on the GD spectrum and has really helped us.