or Connect

Posts by Crisstiana

Is sensation intact in his feet and hands? If not, I would worry about getting a puncture wound that could go unnoticed. While tetanus can occur with other types of injuries (or, in rare cases, with no known injury), puncture wounds are the classic set-up for tetanus. If the sensation to his feet is poor, for example, he could get a serious puncture wound without noticing it and thus not treat it properly. That, in combination with poor circulation and decreased wound...
MD Travel is a good site for info on diseases in different countries and possible preventative measures one might want to take. Here's the link for Korea: Clicky! The Australian government also usually has good travel advice. Here's its page about Korea: Clicky! Lastly, FWIW, here's the CDC's travel site on East Asia, including S. Korea: Clicky! HTH.
For Dengue, as others have said, there is no vax. Here's some mosquito prevention ideas from MD Travel Health: Wear long sleeves, long pants, hats and shoes (rather than sandals). For rural and forested areas, boots are preferable, with pants tucked in, to prevent tick bites. Apply insect repellents containing 20-35% DEET (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide) or 20% picaridin (Bayrepel) to exposed skin (but not to the eyes, mouth, or open wounds). DEET may also be applied to...
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavenLeighGrace However, when he asked me why I decided that route (I should have said "religious"....no questions asked ) I think it was valid for him to ask the reasoning behind your decision. If it were a medical exemption given in the past, for example, this would be important to know. If it is for religious reasons, this should be noted in your chart so your beliefs can be respected in the future. He may also...
My experience backs up what Marcdoc said. In my med school, we had a year of infectious diseases and immunology. The year-long pharmacology class paralleled much of what we were learning in ID&I. In my peds rotation, pharm, and ID&I, I probably had 5 hours total specifically about vaxes. This included a small group discussion on some of the parental concerns regarding vaxes. As I didn't go into Peds, I didn't receive further training on the topic.
Personally, I think she should consult her HIV/AIDS doc as the infection, even when well suppressed, posing different concerns about vaxes than for HIV-negative people. FWIW, here's some links that address the questionl: - From the NIH: Recommended immunizations for HIV positive adults (contains warnings and comments for each vax discussed) - From Family Practice News (Sept 1, 2000): Flu Immunization Advised for HIV-Positive Patients - From RetroConference:...
Hi, Nicole: My twins are now about 9 months old, and they laugh at everything and nothing. I have no worries about their development, but they just think nearly everything is funny, especially my daughter. I think she likes to laugh and laughing gets her laughing even more. At times, neither my husband nor I can figure out what the heck she finds so funny, but here are some things we know she finds hilarious: - someone sitting on the couch and raising one leg...
If there is a chance you are going to be exposed to others' blood, I'd get the Hep vax. Things squirt and splash, gloves tear, etc. In med school, I had gloves tear, even with double-gloving. I was splashed in the face with blood (none got in my eyes because I was wearing glasses) and had someone vomit up blood down my shirt. I also was in a trauma situation in which blood somehow got past the protective gown I was wearing and soaked into my pants. I'm sure it's the...
Here's the list, for the link-impaired. It also includes PPD, the Mantoux Tb test as questions often are posted about its ingredients. And the standard disclaimers: All info is from the label documents on file with the FDA. All amounts are per dose. All language with regard to amounts (e.g., "trace") are from the label, which is linked. Some of the purification steps have been removed, with the ones pertaining to things such as mercury retained. And the standard...
Quote: Originally Posted by Twice as nice I need help finding information about religions exemption to vaccines in Fl!!! My ex & I are in court over cs and visitation, and he is also trying to push for vaxxes. I already have a legal exemption on file with the state, but am trying to find information about it to present to my attorney. Specifically, I'm looking for the statute as well as what is required by teh state to qualify for the exemption. ...