or Connect

Posts by StillForest

Hi all, I've been reading through the reviews for Avatar and think it sounds very interesting. Wondering whether anyone has seen it and whether it would be appropriate for an 8-year-old who adores sci-fi and fantasy movies. What is the level of violence? I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thanks!
I had my DD when I was 41 and am now approaching 50 with an 8-year-old. I do think that it's all in one's attitudes and lifestyle. I've always had as much or more energy than the parents' of DD's friends having younger parents. I'm certainly a much better parent now than I would have been in my 20's and 30's and definitely appreciate the additional income, job security and time that age has given us (not that we're rich by any means.... just back further from the brink). I...
I got DD a stove from Constructive Playthings for about $100. Can add on a fridge for $180. We've been very pleased with the stove and cooking utensils. Got it when she was four and it's held up well through 4 years of heavy use. Definitely one of her favorite toys. I'm not good at embedding links...here's the URL: http://www.constplay.com/cgi-bin/con...35L&parent_id=
I also have an inquisitive scientific kiddo and have had a similar series of conversations regarding Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and friends since DD was about 3. I also decided that I couldn't tell her anything that felt at all untruthful. The strategy that I've used to preserve some of what I believe to be the "magic" of the season has been to invite her to "be Santa" with me as we happily make, buy, and give surprise gifts for family, friends, and...
Lots of good ideas. I also use a "bury the vegetables" approach. I make fried rice (w/brown rice) and add in chopped veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, edamame, cabbage, squash... She happily eats many veggies that she'd never touch otherwise. I also make sauces out of nut butters (usually almond, cashew or peanut) and use this over chopped veggies and pasta or rice. I add finely chopped broccoli and spinach to my tomato sauce whenever I make any pasta dish....
We go in and out of this as well with our 8-year-old DD. Having her own separate bed, a twin size futon next to ours, definitely helps us all get more sleep. Sleepovers definitely helped her move into her own room. I sometimes help her schedule a sleepover with a friend to help get her back into her own bedroom. I also start out in her room and talk her to sleep with guided meditations and lullabies when she's overtired or anxious about something. Jazzing up her bedroom...
We've really liked Click. My DD also isn't a major nature & animals enthusiast. However, Click definitely piqued her interest in nature and science. It has a wide variety of different themes and articles are well-written. Reading Click stretched her vocabulary and expanded her knowledge of the world. I think articles are more in depth and better written than those in National Geographic for Kids. We've liked all of the magazines in the Cricket series this far. DD...
My DD, who just turned 8 two days ago, started wearing a sports bra regularly about 3 months ago. She's starting to develop a bit and felt more comfortable wearing one. We went on a shopping trip and bought her several simple sports bras at Penney's. Had to work through my own surprise, denial and worry (precocious puberty?? Yikes!!) -- 7 just seems so young! But the bottom line was that I wanted her to know that I heard & validated her concerns and that I want her to...
I agree with the numerous posters who have encouraged you to help her develop her study habits. It's still very early in the school year and her work may take far less than 4 hours a night after she masters some study skills. I think that it's wonderful that she's being challenged and has the opportunity to develop skills well before she hits her junior and senior years or college (speaking as one who cruised through till college and then had to learn how to study). I...
I'm about an hour and a half away from you and I've been noticing the same thing!! They're everywhere! All the more amazing because we also have foxes running around...