or Connect

Posts by StillForest

I can really relate. I've been working on this issue for a while. I've been having success using an incremental approach as mentioned earlier--taking tiny baby steps and gradually building up and adding more positive steps. I decided to start with exercise since I always feel better after I do it. I started by picking a totally manageable amount of time. I reasoned that even if I only walked or jogged for 5-10 minutes a day, that would improve my quality of life. And it...
Thanks so much for your responses. I've really been trying very hard to address this in such a way that DD doesn't feel at all ashamed or strange. I think that her discomfort has come from seeing her friends' bodies when they change for swimming class at school. I'm trying to find good information resources to address my own concerns and worry---seems awfully early! She does seem far more comfortable since we got her/she picked out several tops with more support. While...
Hi All, My 7.5-year-old DD has what look like the beginning of breast buds. I've actually been noticing changes for about the past year and a half. I mentioned this to her doctor at her last physical (actually called to ask before appointment so that DD wouldn't be uncomfortable). Her doctor said that she was normal and an NP at the same practice said that it was "normal adipose tissue." DD is a bit on the heavy side and has a noticeable layer of subcutaneous fat...
Hi All, My DSD and her BF are graduating from HS and have decided to have a graduation party in a local park. DSD has recently become a vegetarian and wants to only have vegetarian food for the party. However, many of her friends (including BF) are not especially adventurous eaters and dislike many vegetables and many commonly served veggie foods. I'm in the process of pulling together a menu for the veggie grad party in the park from noon to 4 PM. There's...
Interesting thread... DD thought about changing her name to Amy or Linda for quite a while---when she was about 4 -6 years old. She had this thing on names that were more common during the 1960s and 1970s. I offered to call her by whatever new name she decided on. I disliked my own given name throughout my childhood and finally changed it 20 years ago when I was in my early 20s. I fully support her desire to name or call herself whatever feels right for her. She...
Lots of great ideas here. We're also major fans of books on CD/tape. The only idea I'd add (not sure if anyone has yet) is materials for craft projects. I have a tin filled with all sorts of cheap fun beads, elastic/string and kid's scissors that I only pull out for long car trips. We've also had great luck with embroidery yarn for making friendship bracelets and basic macrame projects. My kids can also spend hours making things out of pipe cleaners. I hope that your...
You've gotten a lot of great ideas here. My DD, who has struggled with a a mild case of dyslexia, was a bit reluctant to read at home. We took regular trips to the library and had her pick out her own books. She also adores books on CD/tape. She often listens to them first and then reads the book as able (her listening comprehension is way ahead of her reading comprehension). She also loves graphic novels. We also subscribe to a couple of kids magazines. I also make a...
So nice to find this thread here! I actually came here looking for other families with older co-sleepers. My DD is 7 and a half years old. We also have the queen size bed next to a twin "one giant bed" configuration in our family bedroom. DD loves to sleep on the queen size bed between DH and me...but DH and I don't get enough sleep when we do that (DD is exceptionally tall and is a very energetic big sleeper who flails around a lot). We've been insisting that she spend...
Thank you all so much for all of the responses, ideas and shared experiences. Very helpful! Sorry that I haven't been able to respond till now...we've been swamped with filling out all of the financial aid applications and helping DSD submit the last of her applications. So many details! DSD, who hopes to major in theatre, has a scholarship competition and/or audition or interview on 6 of the next 8 weekends! I can't believe how incredibly stressful the undergrad...
Two MDs with diet books come to mind: John MacDougall-- He's an MD but I'm not sure what his area is. He and his wife have lots of cookbooks out: The MacDougall program. Their books fall in the right time frame. Another MD who is definitely a cardiologist doing the sort of research that you describe is Caldwell Esselstyn. He has a recently published book out called Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. HTH. ~StillForest