or Connect

Posts by StillForest

Wow! Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I've got all the costs for a range of colleges that she/I would like her to consider entered into an Excel spreadsheet. It's just so incredibly hard to know what kind of offers she's going to get/I'll be able to negotiate from the small liberal arts colleges. My friends' and my own experience years ago underscore just how varied these offers can be....even for institutions having very comparable total costs. I'm just going to...
Quote: Are you and her dad married? I believe they only count step-parents' income if you are married - one thing to think about. But may be too late Ha Ha.... DH proposed to me when I needed major dental work and had no dental insurance (he's a romantic guy ). Maybe we'lll divorce so that DSD can go to college without incurring 50k+ or more in debt.... Marry for health insurance, divorce for tuition and board...Life in the US in 2008...Sigh......
Thanks so much for all of the comments and support. She is applying to small liberal arts college for the most part (only exceptions being two of our state schools). She's half Chinese and will fortunately be able to add to the diversity of some of the almost 100% white small Midwest colleges that she's applying to. I just freaked out over the weekend when she got an "early parent financial aid estimator" letter from one small school that we'd been hoping would come...
Kids on Stage (a kids' charades game that has gotten many years of enjoyment here) and Apples to Apples. Both are fun for adults as well as kids. DD totally adores Guess Who but I find it poorly made and unbelievably tedious after a point.
Here's a burning question that I've been wanting to ask a group of step-parents (I don't often get over here or to other forums these days...). What do you call your DSCs? DSD moved in with us when she was 12 and decided that she wanted me to call her my daughter. Fine with me...but wow have we generated rampant confusion all over! We actually look and sound a lot alike so people are totally stunned whenever DXW comes up in conversation. Most people assume that I'm bio-mom...
Ooops...should have been clearer. We're the custodial parents and DXW lives many thousands of miles away in another state. DSD wants to go to our state university as an in-state student (out-of-state tuition is obscenely high). Hasn't lived with mom in 4 years (summer visits only). Mom has already said that she won't provide any money or information. I appreciate your point about loans. I'm just afraid that she'll end up with huge amounts of loans even if she goes to...
Hi All, I'm the step-mom of a wonderful 17-year-old DSD who is currently in the process of applying for college. I'm increasingly afraid that the end of this process is going to be a total disaster and want to see whether any of you have been through this for any BTDT wisdom you may have. I'm tragically the major breadwinner of all of us (DH, DXW and myself) and have only been earning my somewhat respectable salary for about 2-3 years since finishing an advanced...
Definitely go with your passion but make sure that you have a good solid mentor to work with. This may vary by discipline, but I've found it incredibly difficult to get the skills and connections that I needed to launch a new career without a solid advisor/mentor relationship. I had a totally awful mentor (nothing personal.....he just doesn't have the interpersonal skills so all of his students have floundered). As the mom of a newborn/toddler, I just didn't have the...
Lots of healing thoughts coming out your way....:
So glad to see this thread. I'm unfortunately at work and need to get back to it but want to sub so that I can FIND this thread again (!!) and come back to join your tribe. I have diagnosed ADD and need to make time for another round of finding new strategies. I became the major breadwinner for our family last year and working full-time while parenting two children and trying to keep house (not to mention trying to have a life of my own) just isn't working. I feel like...