or Connect

Posts by bradleybrat

The family folklore is that I breastfed until I was six years old, but I don't remember it so I think it must have been pretty seldom after I was 3-4 years old. I had two older sisters and my mom hadn't had much support breastfeeding them (she breastfed them less than six months each), but by the time she had me she was an LLL leader and I think she wanted to see how long she could go! (By the way, I didn't turn out to be a total freak, like so many people might...
I live in eastern New Mexico and I paid $2500 for a home birth with a CPM. I think they have recently raised their fees to $3000 or $3500. According to my midwife, if your health insurance covers maternity care, they MUST cover care from a licensed midwife the same as they would a doctor. At least that is true in Texas (where she is located).
Does anyone know anything about a new (?) World Health Organization study saying that circumcision may help to prevent AIDS transmission? Dr. Gabe Mirkin opened his radio show today with a monologue about this study, but I can't seem to find it on Mirkin's website or the WHO website. Thanks!
thank you all so much! delilah -- your birth story is great!!! i was laughing out loud. i really could see some of myself in you! Robin
In her new book, "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth," "Spiritial Midwifery" author Ina May Gaskin lists their statistics for 2,028 pregnancies. 68.8% OF THOSE BIRTHS HAD INTACT PERINEUMS of the others, 19.1% were only 1st degree tears of the first 50 births Ina May attended (before she had any training), 43 had intact perimeums If you haven't read this book (or Spiritual Midwifery) yet, I highly recommend it. It has convinced me better than anything else that my...
I feel like this is a silly question, but I'm wondering what clothes (if any!) people have chosen to wear during their labor and birth at home. I'm due (with our first baby) in a couple of weeks, and my birth will be attended by a licensed midwife (CPM), and her partner and a couple of apprentices will probably also come. Other than them it will just be me and my husband. It is in the 90s every day where I live and to be honest I generally don't wear much around the...
hi! www.birthandbaby.com has a wide selection and cheaper prices than motherwear. robin
I am expecting my first baby in about five weeks. I am planning to use my hot tub for comfort during labor, and maybe for the birth, if I don't feel like getting out. It is a good-sized hot tub that would seat six to eight people. It is located on our back patio. I am getting really stressed about how to sanitize the hot tub prior to the birth. (This is partly due to the fact that my mom is currently taking a microbiology course and has scared the heck out of me...
Shelby, I would second the encouragement to go to an LLL meeting before your baby is born. I am a first-time mom-to-be, and I felt a little funny going to an LLL meeting -- afraid I'd be the only one there without a nursing baby. But I went in January and it was great and everyone really welcomed me; anyway I've been to four monthly meetings in a row now and really look forward to them. I loved "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" and would also recommend...
maudlin -- i have a couple of quotes that i thought you might find interesting regarding your decision about the GTT: from Sheila Kitzinger's book "Birth Your Way" "There is no point in having tests unless their results are going to affect care. Useless information provided by routine tests is often employed as a charm against a perilous passage, in the same way that talismans have been used traditionally by pregnant women to guard against evil. . . . The results of...