or Connect

Posts by redpajama

First and foremost, if the books in question are indeed by Alison Bechdel, have you read them yet?  Do.   If you think the relationship with the friend is "more than it seemed," my guess is that it probably is.   If you believe that being lesbian will make her life more difficult or complicated, if you think she is now subject to hardships she would not have faced as a straight woman, if you fear that she is going to be subject to prejudice and hate as a result...
My son will be 8 in a couple weeks.  He wet the bed pretty consistently (wore pull-ups to bed) from the time he potty-trained (around 2) until last spring.  Shortly after his 7th birthday, he started having a lot of dry nights, we stopped putting him in pull-ups, and it has gone relatively well (he had an accident every 4-5 weeks, but he had previously been wetting nearly every night).  It's been almost a year of this.  Now, in the past couple of weeks, he's wetting more...
This sounds EXACTLY like my daughter at that age--her eczema was so bad her face looked burnt, her lymph nodes were always swollen, blood and mucus in her stools, et cetera.  When you say that you're eliminating "to the best of your ability," does that mean you're getting some egg/dairy still?  If so, I would suggest really strictly eliminated for 2-4 weeks and see if that takes care of it.   My daughter's symptoms started when she was just a few weeks old, but...
Eczema can also be a sign of a food allergy.  My 5-year-old had terrible eczema as an infant, beginning at about 4-6 weeks.  My pediatrician was really dismissive of the idea that it could be allergy-related, so we were sent to a dermatologist, who prescribed steroid cream.  Our experience was like yours: when we used the cream, the rash was suppressed, but when we missed a dose, it came right back.  We quickly decided to discontinue use of the cream.     Long story...
My sister changed my niece's name when she was 6 months old (which is, I understand, quite a bit younger--but we were certainly all used to calling her by her given name).  She just told us that she was thinking about changing it, gave us the new name she was thinking of changing it to, and about a week or two later, told us she had, in fact, changed it.   Be prepared for people to feel like they could NEVER get used to the change.  But they will.  I remember...
These are great suggestions!  My 6.5-year-old LOVES all kinds of games.  Sleeping Queens was a favorite for a while, and it led us to explore a lot of other Gamewright games, and we've loved them all.  We've played Moose in the House, Pounce, Snap and Loot.  This year, my kids are getting Feed the Kitty and Match of the Penguins for Christmas, which I chose in hopes that my 2-year-old might be able to play along, at least to some degree.  If you go on the Gamewright...
My kids are 6.5, almost 5, and 2 (and 5 weeks, but she takes her meals in my arms ), and they all sit at the table for meals.  If we go out to eat, the littlest one might crawl under the table to get to the other side of the booth or something, but generally sits in her seat for the duration of the meal (definitely not a problem once there is *food* on the table, but sometimes requires a little wrangling before the food arrives). 
We have a Radian XTSL that my 2-year-old (30ish pounds) rear-faces in.  I drive a Honda Odyssey, and the super-latch was loosening on its own, so we don't use it anymore (just use the seatbelt to belt it in).  My 4-year-old (5 in a few weeks) is forward-facing in a Safety 1st Complete Air.  It rear-faces to 40 pounds.   I actually like the Complete Air better, I think, and I don't think the 5 pounds is all that big of a deal.  My average-sized almost-5-year-old only...
Ingrid is 2 weeks old today, and I'm feeling really good.  I went to the grocery store this morning with my 2 youngest (my older two were at school) and it felt like quite an accomplishment (even though my 2-year-old was sort of a disaster the whole time we were there).  I kept thinking, I probably shouldn't feel *so* proud of myself for making a big grocery shopping trip with 50% of my children...but I did.   Physically, I feel pretty well back to normal.  My bleeding...
My oldest did almost exactly this as a newborn.  But, like your daughter, he was gaining well, wetting, and generally developing normally, so my pediatrician said it wasn't a problem.  He once went more than 2 weeks between bowel movements.  He eventually started pooping more frequently--I don't recall exactly when, but probably around the time he started solids.   He's a perfectly healthy 6.5-year-old now.  (And my next 2 babies were both the type to poop nearly...