or Connect

Posts by redpajama

My kids have never shown racial preference, but when they've brought it up, we've talked about it in the same terms as any other physical characteristic.  So if they ask why someone has dark skin, I've just explained that it's because their parents have dark skin.  Just like my kids all have blue eyes because my husband and I both have blue eyes.  We've talked about the possibilities when one parent has blue eyes and one has brown, or when one has dark skin and one has...
Nothing is set in stone, but right now we're leaning toward Ingrid for a girl and August for a boy.
Thanks for the replies. It's been a couple months since I posted this, and it seems to be quite a bit better.  Strangely, he had a few big flare-ups with his eyes that led me to believe it was allergy-related (where his eyes got really red and the conjunctiva swelled to the edge of his iris).  I was debating whether to get some sort of otc allergy medication to give him when it seemed to just sort of go away.   He's been reading non-stop lately, and he doesn't seem...
I've taken two different "courses" with regard to bikes with my two oldest kids.   With my oldest, we bought him a nice (Trek) 16" bike with training wheels when he was 3.  We figured that, although it was a little big for him, he'd be able to use it longer than a 12" (and it wasn't at all too big for him to ride), and although it was expensive, we had two kids and knew we would have more (we're expecting our fourth and last in September), so we wanted it to be of...
My kids all potty trained before 2, so this was an issue for us, too.  I also found that it was a bigger problem with girl undies than boy undies--that this elastic at the top seemed to help keep them up, somehow.   We got Gerber training undies (they used to be available everywhere, but when I bought more a year ago, I had to order them online).  I bought the plain white ones and hand-dyed them into a rainbow of colors, and they're super-cute (I think).  Plus...
I don't know if I'm a true "minimalist," but that is my leaning--especially where babies are concerned (this is my fourth, so I've pretty well figured out what *we* need).   --Diapers.  For the true minimalist, something like the "Flip" system by Bumgenius might be good, since it is one-size (so no need to replace smaller diapers as the baby grows) and, unlike one-size pockets or AIOs, you can reuse the covers.  I like to have enough for about 18-24 changes, though...
I would definitely recommend having someone there specifically for your daughter--if you don't have a friend or family member you're comfortable with, then hire someone.   1. For your daughter's needs: She might need a snack or help in the bathroom and you might be in transition.  There should be someone there to help her, and it shouldn't (have to) be your or your partner.  Or she might become frightened when she hears you making a lot of noise, or sees what looks...
Do you know your neighbors?  If I had a swingset/sandbox whatever in my yard, I would be thrilled to see other kids from the neighborhood enjoying them.  Maybe you should suggest that you put a sandbox in your yard (which would be my recommendation anyway--my little ones generally liked sandboxes) for the neighbors to use, and see if they'd like to offer use of their "flashy fun-looking toys."  I always find it half-amusing, half-irritating when I see multiple houses in a...
I didn't vote because I would have to select almost everything (except puppets).    When my son turned 4, he was SUPER into puzzles and games.  He's six now, and still loves board games more than almost anything.  He still loves puzzles, too, though he's turned from mostly-jigsaw puzzles to mostly-puzzle-books (mazes, word searches, word scrambles, et cetera).  He also really liked (still does) legos and small figures, but not quite like he loves games and...
I sort of agree it comes across a bit rude, and sets people up to feel uncomfortable.  If the invitation says "no gifts," and you bring a gift anyway, you look like you're not respecting the parents' wishes.  If the invitation says "no gifts," and you don't bring a gift, there's the risk that most people *will* bring a gift, and you'll look like the jerk that didn't bring a gift.   Also--doesn't it seem sort of rude/weird to tell people they can't give your child a...