or Connect

Posts by redpajama

If this hasn't been said yet (I didn't read all the responses) look into a condition called encopresis.  My 6-year-old suffers from it, and while it's a really frustrating thing, the sooner you seek treatment, the better the outcomes.  Holding poop for a week at a time (which is how my son functions, if left to his own devices) does damage to the colon and anal sphincter, which further exacerbates the problem.  I think, technically, it's not labelled as "encopresis" if...
Just wanted to update:   We decided to take him out of school a tad early, partially because the logistics of trying to deal with two homes was getting to be a bit much, and partially because of the school issues.   He's been out of school for a couple weeks now, and it's going really well.  We've worked a tiny bit on his handwriting (which actually improved pretty drastically before he left school, but could still definitely use work), but mostly he's just...
  Us, too!
Statistically, second babies come both earlier and faster than first babies.  That said, you can see lots of anecdotal evidence in this thread that that isn't *always* the case.  Really, you'll just have to wait and see what happens this time around.
A few things that have worked for me:   Sometimes I can get comfortable by lying next to a pillow, so my belly is supported by in, then bringing my knee (of the top leg) way up, about as high as I can, so that I sort of get the effect of sleeping on my stomach (take the pressure off the outside of my hip).     Also, I've often found it comfortable to sleep on my back, but with a pillow under one hip/side of my butt.  This way, I'm on my back, which I generally...
Each of my kids (6, 4, 20 months) is getting a pair of sandals for the summer (my youngest's will be hand-me-downs, but they've been put away for 2 years, so we don't think the older kids will notice), a pad of blank paper and age-appropriate coloring implements (colored pencils for the oldest, triangular crayons for the youngest, and crayon rocks for the 4-year-old who needs to work on fine motor strength), bubbles, wildflower seeds, a stuffed toy off of etsy, and a...
My oldest two are 6 and 4 (boy and girl, respectively) and they still share a bed.  They each have their own bed, so it's not as if they don't have the option of sleeping separately, but they almost never choose to sleep apart.  
I don't know precisely, but...7 months?  8 months?  As soon as she was crawling, between 6 and 7 months, she began climbing the stairs.  We didn't gate them, but kept an eye on her for a while until it was clear she had mastered it.  for a while, she would climb up, but call for us (you know, in *her* language) from the top when she wanted to come down.  I would go up, help her get turned around so she was headed down feet-first, and help her climb/slide down on her...
My situation was a little different because I didn't develop SPD over time, but had a sudden injury to it at 39 weeks pregnant.  The injury was severe enough that I couldn't walk or even lift my feet off the ground.  I began walking with crutches about a week after it happened, and by the time I went into labor, 13 days after the initial injury, I was able to walk (very slowly/carefully) without the crutches.   I gave birth in my living room, and it really didn't give...
You can mark me GREEN. =)  9/20.