or Connect

Posts by redpajama

I'm almost 17 weeks pregnant with my 4th, and I don't really look pregnant yet.  I feel fetal movement, but nothing I wouldn't pass off if I didn't *know* I was pregnant, and perhaps if this were my first, I wouldn't know it was what I was feeling.  I've gained between 8-10 pounds, but I still fit in my normal non-pregnant jeans.     The one time I can clearly see that I'm pregnant (although I guess I can see it in my shape now, because I know what my own body looks...
I'm planning my second home birth, with the midwife I'm apprenticing under.  
Just to clarify, I responded to the OP who (1) stated that she is planning on working with a home birth midwife during her next pregnancy and (2) did not mention longer-than-average cycles or even later-than-average ovulation, only that her first pregnancy went to 42 weeks (before being induced).     Giving an "LMP" date that is not technically true, but that is "accurate" within the 28-day-cycle model that most care providers employ (so, subtracting 14 days from...
I don't advocate lying to your midwife about your LMP, or anything else.  If you are hiring her for her knowledge and her judgement, what purpose does it serve to impair both by giving her misinformation.   Also, it might come back to bite you, so to speak, if you go into labor early--when you are, say, 37 weeks pregnant and she believes you to be 35-36 weeks.  In the practice I work in, that would risk you out for a home birth, and unnecessarily so, if you were lying...
I totally agree with so much of what you all are saying.   My personal experience with it was that when I was seeing an OB during my first pregnancy, I had my membranes stripped--*without consent or even a warning*--beginning at 36 weeks.  It was EXCRUCIATING.  And it didn't cause labor--when they induced me on my due date, my cervix was long and relatively firm, and completely closed, and didn't respond well to the induction at all.   In my second pregnancy,...
My first was a cervadil/pitocin induction, so not reliable data at all.   My second was about 10.5 hours, total. My third was about 6.5 hours.   (My second, though, was at a hospital nearly an hour away, and I suspect that whole driving/triage/getting settled process probably added some time to it.  My third was a home birth without any sort of interruption.  My labors *felt* very similar, even though the second was considerably longer, and I suspect they...
You can get them a lot of places, but I think I ordered mine from here.  It was $15.  From my experience in the practice I work in, 16 weeks is on the early side for using one successfully, but, like I said, in both this and my last pregnancy, I've been able to hear right at the 16 week mark.  
I haven't been on a chat thread in a while--it's exciting to see everyone's pregnancies progressing along.   I'm feeling movement every day now, which is sort of fun.  I was able to hear the baby with the fetoscope for the first time today, too, which was exciting. My 6-year-old was able to hear it, but I'm not sure my 4-year-old could.  I heard my last baby at exactly 16 weeks--it was the day my long-tube fetoscope arrived in the mail (I only had a short-tube one...
My kids are a bit younger, but this is basically what we're doing.  Our house has two large bedrooms upstairs and one smaller "master" bedroom (with a walk-in closet and attached bathroom) downstairs.  Our kids are 6, 4 and 19 months, and we're expecting in September.  Right now, the two older kids (a boy and a girl) have one upstairs bedroom and my husband, 19-month-old and I have the other.  For now, we're using the downstairs bedroom as a sort of "den," with our...
This is such an interesting topic to me--and one that I sort of feel I've been on both sides of. When I was pregnant with my first, I really wanted a boy.  I don't even recall why, exactly, except that I had a lot of nephews at the time, and boys were sort of what I "knew," and I loved the idea of having a son.  And alas, my oldest was a boy.   With my second, I felt relatively indifferent--I knew that I really wanted to have a daughter at some point, but I knew...