or Connect

Posts by redpajama

I haven't had a formal prenatal, but I spend plenty of time with my midwife (I'm in my fourth year of apprenticeship with her), so I don't feel like there would be anything to do at a prenatal now.  She was borrowing my doppler for a couple months after hers died (she's since replaced hers), so I asked her to listen to the heartbeat around 12 weeks, which we did between appointments.  Otherwise, though, I have plenty of opportunities to talk to her about any questions I...
Absolutely.  I think it sounds like a fine idea.
I had an infant "carrier" seat for my older three, but it expired last summer.  I initially thought I wouldn't replace it if I had another baby--they use it so briefly that it didn't seem worthwhile--but I think I will.  I'm an apprentice midwife, and the baby will come with me to prenatals until he-or-she becomes to troublesome to have along (I planned on taking my now-19-month-old along until she was a year old, but she was walking by 10 months and into EVERYTHING...
I found out with my first and second (a boy and girl, respectively) but not with my third (another girl) and we will definitely not find out this time.  It was so much more fun anticipating the surprise at the birth.    
My 4-year-old nursed (with a "nudge" from me) at the very beginning of the pregnancy.  My 19-month-old continues to nurse regularly, but no longer nurses at night.  Sometimes I nurse her to sleep at night, other nights my husband puts her to bed, but if she wakes in the night, my husband just snuggles her up and she goes right back to sleep (if I try to do it, she insists on nursing).     My milk supply is definitely reduced pretty drastically, but it doesn't deter...
  If it's something you want to have available (and it sounds like it is) but you're concerned about another short/fast labor, do you have a space where you could store it already inflated (assuming it's inflatable)?  The midwife I work for loans a Birth Pool in a Box to each of her clients (who wants one) and they are relatively large once inflated, but if it was a big concern, I would recommend inflating it and then leaning it up against a wall or something.  As for...
I was in the August '09 DDC, and there were SO MANY TWINS that month.  This time around, I keep wondering, "Where are all the twins?!"
I wouldn't put *too* much stock in fundal height measurements as a predictor of the baby's size--it's relative to your body type, your amniotic fluid levels, the baby's station and position, and according to one study I read, to your position (lying flat, knees bent up, back slightly inclined, et cetera).  I would put *more* stock in your doctor's palpation, as he or she can account for some of these things, but it's still far from an exact science.   For what it's...
I don't have much of a belly yet, and I'm 13.5 weeks with #4.  I don't recall exactly when I showed with the others, but it was definitely before now.  I'm not worried about it--I've heard the heartbeat using the doppler and I can feel that my uterus is growing--but I do find my self puzzling over it from time-to-time. My jeans still fit relatively normally and I just haven't *felt* particularly pregnant.   In just the past week or so, though, I am noticing that I'm...
My oldest potty trained at about 22 months.  I don't recall that he was showing any particular "interest," but we basically woke up one morning and put him in underwear and never went back.  He got peeing down right away, but pooping took him a few weeks, then he got it.   My second child saw her dad on the toilet one day at about 19 months and indicated that she wanted to go potty.  He took off her pants and got out our potty chair, but she got up pretty quickly. ...