or Connect

Posts by ShyDaisi

My friend does not do Santa with her daughter for religious and moral reasons. I weighed the pros and cons when my son was little, and in the end decided to "do" Santa. I am comfortable with both of our decisions (not that my thoughts have any bearing on her decision, but I completely support her decision as I considered the same route). Both of our children are 4.5 years old. Last year, there wasn't much discussion surrounding Santa because we didn't really see each...
I haven't had an opportunity to check out the library for the previously suggested books, but I really need to share and get some insight on my evening. I have to be doing something wrong...   I picked him up this evening and could immediately tell he was tired. He had played all day - hard apparently - and I know that contributed a lot to this evenings behaviors and emotions. However, after more than two extremely long hours of being yelled at, I am nearing my...
  Thank you both for your responses.   Yes, I am a single, solo parent, working outside of the home 45ish hours per week and up until this semester, I was going to school too (I had to take some time off because I was buckling under the stress). I am sure a lot of my problem is that I am stressed, and I let things bother me too much...but it is really frustrating. I have so little time with him in the evenings, and the entire time (it seems) is spent arguing and...
Original post: I need some overall guidance on how to handle some of my son's behaviors... I am feeling not so competent at this parenting thing today.   1. Name calling - preschool-ish name calling such as "hot dog face" or "banana apple head"...the worst is usually "meanie"...   - I have basically been disregarding whatever he is saying. Sometimes he says it in a jesting mood just because he thinks it is silly. Other times he is using the names as weapons,...
Indoors -- We have several of the non-character Imaginext sets - they are definitely the most loved toys in our home. He also loves building: Duplos, Lincoln Logs, blocks, etc.   Outdoors -- He loves riding his bikes (one balance, one regular) and playing sports (soccer and baseball).
Worth every penny. I bought my son a Haro (~$100) for his 2nd birthday. He still rides it over 2 years later even though he rides his pedal bike now too.
If you find one the right color underneath all of the stickers, you could assemble it yourself or request the stickers not be put on. My son is pretty short for his age, so I was desperately looking for a 10" bike which did not require the training wheels to be attached. I finally found a Mickey Mouse bike at Toys R Us. I didn't realize the decorations were stickers, so didn't say anything, but when I got it home and realized they were, I removed them. We now have a...
We have had the Haro for just over 2 years. It has held up fairly well. There are a few nicks and scratches in the paint from the abuse my child has placed on it - falls, spills, bumps, and drops - but he still loves it. Eventhough he learned to ride a pedal bike in January and rides it regularly, he still likes to switch between the Haro and his new bike. Once he was "ready" for a footrest, he just started holding his feet up - either behind him, or putting his feet on...
We don't do TV and I have a high needs LO, so I can completely understand the dilemma. What about finding a craft that he can complete by himself (maybe allow him to glue a variety of items like fabric leftovers, buttons, etc.) or a "messy" activity such as "painting" the shower walls with shaving cream? Sometimes it is easier to have a small (or big...lol) mess to clean up afterward to get that 15 or 20 minutes needed. I don't have 2, but I am a single, working,...
I really think this forum is necessary. I have a 3.5 year old, and when I look at the threads in the Toddler forum, there are literally no threads that apply to him. RIght now the threads there are talking about not eating enough solids, speech development/therapy, pacifiers, how to get a young toddler to sleep longer, boots for small feet, etc. and all are about 1 to 2.5 year olds. Often there are a slew of PT/PLing threads... For a 3.5 year old who has moved beyond those...