or Connect

Posts by Abarat

Yeah, I agree with looking for some good obedience training, etc.  We train ours and make sure we're 110% sure ours won't attack our day range ducks, chickens, etc. before they're trusted off leash.  Our best livestock guardian ever was a mutt that just took up the job when she was about 6 years old....who knew?  She would actually guard newly hatched chickens in our house and we'd never miss the start of their hatching...she'd let us know when she heard the first peep....
I've been considering unschooling.  He's much like his father and I in that we learn much more on our own.  I have a feeling if we scrap K12 we'd end up unschooling.  Still mulling all this over.  Thanks a ton for letting me vent.  I feel tons better and he's completely turned around this afternoon after that meltdown that got me on here.   You ladies gave me some great questions to mull over while I gave him a break.  I put together a more solid weekly schedule and...
I don't know that I could actually send him to a B&M school, I just can't do it as tempted as I may be some days.   I block schedule some, which really helps.  I don't see a reason to drag out things he picks up right off the bat...we just go over it and test and done for the week.  That's been very helpful. Most of our time spent learning is just reading through the lessons, playing a few games and then testing out of most things.  Most of it is so easy for him...
Thanks for the advice.  We do need to work on our weekly rhythm, big time.  I can see how that would play a huge part now that you mention it.   It doesn't help that I'm not crazy about the curriculum we're using.  It's K12 and I'm using it because it's free and in our county they offer him opportunities he really enjoys.  I'm mulling over all that this year but for now we'll keep using it.  But I do see he gets frustrated when he knows something and has to keep...
I am so frustrated and really need to vent today.   I've been homeschooling my 6yo, he's in 1st grade right now.  There are just way too many days of pitching fits, crying and screaming and yelling.  I'm at my wits end!   If he's not interested in it then there's World War 3!  Science, History, Social Studies he loves!  But when it's coming to anything having to do with writing or math we have major meltdowns.  And the most frustrating thing is that he can do it!...
Is it me or does it seem like it's all good when they think it's their idea?  LOL
Whew, glad to know I'm not the only one with issues with K12's LA.   We did K12 for DS's kindergarten last year, it went fairly well.  This year signed back up for 1st grade and LA stinks!   I've found that since it really follows public school there is the disjointed and jumping around that I would dislike from a b&m school.  But we're still using K12 and coping.  Here's what we're doing.  I block schedule.  So we do all of LA in one day, all Phonics in one day,...
I agree with heatherdeg.  If it sealed you're good to go!
We keep a bin of crushed eggshells in our shed and anytime we plant tomatoes/peppers/squash we put a small handful right in the hole we plant in, works like a charm!
If you decide to intentionally plant a mimosa please be warned that you will eventually have babies growing in your lawn, garden, neighbours yards/gardens, etc.  We have a few in the neighbourhood and the little ones are taking over my garden.  They grow fast here and are prolific.  I always thought they were beautiful and loved the look of them but am starting to dislike them since they're a bad weed here.