or Connect

Posts by beanzer

Lots of people mess up with baby #1, mostly by being unprepared, as you say you were. I've read that getting into a family bed habit can be a great way of reconnecting with older children. Of course, this means challenging some ideas of how furniture should be arranged in North American homes, but what is furniture compared to getting connected with your child? Put everyone's mattress side by side in one room, and put all the dressers in another room (normal...
Quote: Originally posted by alexa07 Well, sorry you don't "believe" it. My DD hated to be held. ...deleted by moderator...
Please don't do CIO - no matter what anyone else might say EVERY SINGLE reputable scientific research study shows that CIO irreparably harms your bond with your baby. There is NO right way, or any circumstances whatsoever that lessen this harm. I have a 15 mo old who woke up every 45 minutes for the first 10 months of her life. We are now sleeping between 3 and 4 hours without waking, but it has been a long haul. I know how you feel right now. Believe me. Try putting...
No advice, but are you sure you want to turn that seat around? A reflective blanket, like the kind you take to the beach can be put across the entire back seat. It acts like a giganctic mirror so that baby can see you. There are such good reasons to keep that seat rear facing. Your baby's happiness is extremely important, too, but even a small accident can cause catastrophic injuries to the spinal cord at the neck (which means your baby could be paralyzed from the neck...
deleted by moderator...
Quote: Originally posted by scribblerkate But I was wondering about AP making many moms *more* prone to being overweight because the time and energy that used to go into exercise is less available with infants and toddlers around. If you are not naturally thin -- via genetics -- and trying to be very available to your young children, how do you find the time to get quality exercise time? I find being AP actually keeps me fit - much more fit...
Wow, I'm sorry, but that sounds really awful. I am familiar with Aletha Solter, but I had no idea she recommended letting a 16 mo old baby scream herself to sleep because it's good for her. Sounds like just another version of CIO to me. No matter how reasonable Dr. Solter seems in writing, you are the only one who knows what is truly going on with your babe. If it feels wrong to YOU to let your little one cry for 20 - 30 minutes because she wants comfort and you...
My oh my have I ever been where you are!! Nighttime acrobatics pushed me to the point of insanity - I actually hurt my dd, quite by accident, but I hurt her nonetheless. I was trying to wrap a blanket around her arms to keep her from punching me in the jaw, pounding on my chest and scratching my face and I twisted her arm and made her cry . I felt like the worst mother on the whole planet and I cried harder than she did. This was all going on at 2 AM, of course. My...
I learned about EC when dd was 14 months old, and I have been trying to move her gently towards peeing on the potty chair or the toilet seat. The trouble is that she is terrified of the toilet seat and can't seem to sit still long enough on the potty chair - she's a very active go-go-go toddler. She prefers to stand in the bathroom sink and check out all the stuff in the medicine chest (it's babyproofed and filled with things she can touch), and then pee in the...
I read in Mothering magazine that guns are now (or very nearly) surpassing cars as the leading cause of death for children in the United States. No one ever thinks it is going to happen to them. The only way to be certain is to never allow a gun into your home, period. I wouldn't let that person park his car anywhere near my house, either. I think you were totally in the right, heartmama. Good for you!!