or Connect

Posts by spottiew

Hello MDC!   Been a while.  Kiddo is now newly 6, mid-way through Kindy.  And still very Spirited.  He's at Montessori school with a mixed age class.  Sadly, many people leave before the final Kindy year, so he has very few 'peers' at his class level and hasn't connected with the younger group especially.  He gets along, but has no desire to 'play' with them.  I've tried to keep things up with kids who have left the school, but they are so 'out of sight out of mind'...
You can volunteer for Habitat for Humanity at age 5... it's more fundraising and support (like providing snacks) than actual construction until age 16.
Ivy is our #1 choice... there's an Open House in Feb- it's not all that noticeable on their website and you are supposed to RSVP.  We have also done a personal tour... it's only 2 years old, but it just feels RIGHT- like a school should be.
I"m in the process of touring too... some places have very little online info, some don't email back, some act like phone calls/visits/questions are a bother or weird. They may be GREAT schools, but how would I know that? I am not going to just 'show up' if they aren't acting welcoming. It just comes across like they don't care- maybe they already have quite enough interest. I find that I gravitate away from these places... I worry that if they can't write back a one...
Our circle time is voluntary.... you can participate, you can do other works in a non-disruptive way, you can lie on the floor at any time as long as it does not interfere with the work of others. Personally, if someone said in front of my child every day how 'badly' their day had gone, I would believe it's just not a good personality match. If it were my kid, he would pick up on the teacher's attitude and play off it and spiral downwards into increased defiance. On...
Quote: Originally Posted by lab I like to own the book. After I read it - I hate to let it go. Books are my friends! Also, I have three kids three years apart. It really does make sense for me to purchase the book and hand it down. And then there are the library fees because I can never get them back on time... I re-read all mine many, many times. Having it right on hand is important!
Ask the one that tells you 3 years what they will do for 3rd-year kids so that they won't be bored. FYI, my child is in Montessori for age 3-6 and is going into year 4- and not bored. But if they tell you that's their plan, then they should have specifics. I also think commute matters quite a bit- we commute way too far, and it affects us in a way that I wish it wouldn't. Though to be honest, those ALL sound quite good! Quote: Originally Posted by...
My kid (age 5) is like this... *I* was like this as a child... I didn't really 'get' that I was constantly complaining, I just felt that I had something to say. It was often painful trying to understand other people and the world, and I was pretty darn unhappy at times and made myself unhappier through my negativity. I just have a feeling of something missing, something wrong inside and it seems he does too. I guess I 'got over' much of it such that I can behave...
Quote: Originally Posted by Amila I know that where I live, the vast majority of moms really feed their kids junk pretty much all the time. Kraft mac and cheese, hot dogs, pb&J, and pizza make up 90% of the food kids eat around here. The only fruits and veggies kids know about are bananas, apples, and oranges. oh. that stuff is junk? my kid eats about 5 things on this earth. mac & cheese, pb&j, and pizza are on the list. ok, so are hotdogs. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by wookie The ubiquitous Little Black Dress. The one thing fashion gurus say is a must-have. I admit I don't, especially since I hardly wear formal clothes since kids and SAHMing. But I'm curious to know if other moms have one? Do you get to wear it often(ish)? Is it, in fact, black? Care to describe it? I sure wish sometimes that I had more occasions that called for dressing up (more so when my legs are freshly waxed...