or Connect

Posts by spottiew

Quote: Originally Posted by lolar2 This confuses me-- in most of the community laundry rooms I've used, any laundry left in the dryer got tossed onto the top of the dryer or onto the shelf if someone else wanted to use the dryer. I did it with others' laundry, and they did it with mine-- it was always the accepted thing. Sure, if you left stuff there for a long time, it might get stolen or thrown out, but it didn't stop anyone else from using the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bisou Thanks for the local resources! I will definitely check that out. How old is your son? You can PM me if you'd like. He is 5. I will say that very much around his birthday he took a bit of a step up in maturity- but that it doesn't erase many other issues. It's very tiring, his mind is SO ACTIVE and he hates that I can't/don't want to always keep up with him. One thing that has been good for him (cause...
Quote: Originally Posted by physmom T Thanks, that's a good point. I guess, my concern would be that they would discourage DD in pretend play at school at she would take that to heart and think it's "wrong" outside of school. I could be that I'm worrying for nothing but it's my (and DH's) biggest hang up with Montessori. I think you're worrying for nothing.. while it may not have a high place in school, they know the kids pretend play...
Quote: Originally Posted by Evie's Mama This is grossly inappropriate for 5 and 6-year-olds. They are expecting them to make cognitive connections between their feelings about a snack being withheld to a story they read to actual events in history??? It will be an utter failure at best. I would not allow my child to participate in this type of activity and would be letting "the kindergarten team" know this. My child is 5, I don't think he...
What do you do if you are just too short? I don't have the snow issue, but I wash my own car and don't do the top, so I wouldn't be able to de-snow it either. I wouldn't have even thought about it either, since it wouldn't bother me driving.
Quote: Originally Posted by DoomaYula I post that my kids are eating off the floor, going into strangers' fridges, and sneaking fruit into their clothes and the answer is that it's because I'm labeling them? I am posting here after months of making various meals only to have them refuse to take even one bite and then gorge themselves on contraband snacks when I turn my back. No, I do not think I am underestimating their palates. I...
Couple of new ideas for you since you are local to me... Legacy Emmanuel has a free Collaborative Parenting class/workshop/support group every Monday eve- not sure if kids can attend or not. THey also run 'What About Boys' periodically on an evening, it's a small cost maybe. I have not been, but I hear good things. I think the Collaborative uses a lot of Explosive Parenting ideas. Emily and Lyla (PDX MDC mamas) run a Connected Parenting class/workshop/support group...
Quote: Originally Posted by unlegal Great!! I will definitely get ahold of you after we are settled in. I'd love to meet up How old is/are your kid(s)? We just visited the marina on Sunday, and the guy giving us a tour said there were some families with young kids living there, so I have a newly 5yo boy. But we are in school in the AM, and PM attitudes are iffy. He's real spirited and not always easy about playing with others when he...
Quote: Originally Posted by unlegal We're waiting for the sale of our house to go through so that we can move out to Hayden Island next month. I looked around online, and haven't seen anything about parents out there. We are going to be living on a sailboat at Tomahawk Bay Marina. I would love to get to know other moms in that area! I have an almost 6 year old girl and an almost 3 year old boy. We unschool, so I would love to find some other HSing...
I know of 2 Montessori Children's Houses here that are picky about accepting kids in the 2nd and 3rd year and do consider their educational background- but I have never heard of a trial like that... we do have a trial day, but it's the opposite- it's an orientation for the child, not an acceptance test. Of course, we also have not at all that kind of vibe where they are directed to activities... every once in a while I will see that on here, that some Montessori is...