or Connect

Posts by spottiew

Me too. Hedy, clear out your PM box! Jill Quote: Originally Posted by Hedy B. Hi Christa! : Ugh. That would drive me insane, too. Hey, Pauline and Sara! We should get together soon! Miss you guys!
Personally, I think it's the teacher's job to find him work that's engaging- and that can take some trial and error on his/her part. Also, my school DOES have multi-person works, but likely there are some other works that you must complete before moving into them... they tell me it's hard on kids who start at 4 instead of 3 because they don't want to do the earlier works, but the school also doesn't want to skip them ahead. We also have building works- not legos, but...
I know I will be a minority opinion, but I did 5 half days at age 2.75 and truly wish I had done less. The week was too long- length of day didn't matter, school affected the flow of the entire day. I think part of my own problem though was that kiddo prior to Children's House napped at noon for 2.5 hours-- and was supposed to switch to a 1:30 nap, presumedly shorter... and you can't just make him switch like that. He suffered along just miserable from 1pm to bedtime-...
Quote: Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife Full-day is all that is offered here (9-4), so that's what we did last year. DS did really well with it - even after being home with me for the previous 8 mos. He gave up napping at age 2, and loves to be around other kids and learn - so I think that is part of why it worked out for us. I really think it depends on the kid. I wonder if you could do full day and see how it goes and then switch to half-day...
I know it's supposed to be normal for a child to have different behaviors at school than home, but... My child is almost 5, over halfway through Children's House. At home, he wants constant attention, help with everything like dressing himself, can't find things 'to do'.... his teacher says the opposite at school, of course. Yes, I have tried just not 'helping' him at home, and telling him to FIND something to do on his own, giving ideas even tho they are...
Quote: Originally Posted by lotusdebi I would be seriously pissed. 1. I HATE surprise parties. 2. I HATE being lied to. 3. If they cared that much about doing something for me, then I shouldn't have to drive for a ridiculous amount of time. It really sounds like the family didn't think this one through. Or else they secretly hate her and wanted to make her day really suck, but have a plausible "But we were thinking of YOU" excuse that would make her...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bisou I think his problem is that she isn't playing with him the way he wants her to, so he's angry. I also think that he gets frustrated with her because he gets in trouble for picking her up too much and getting her out from under the bed when she's gone there to hide. Sometimes I have to tell him that if he picks her up again (for the 20th time!) or bothers her under the bed (where she is going to hide from him,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bisou I am a single mother of a 4-year-old son with extreme behavioral problems, and I am desperate for your help as I am not liking what the medical community is offering us (medication, of course). I am at my wit's end, but I love my son and want things to change. I don't want to put him on this medication. It seems like there MUST be another way, but I am physically and emotionally exhausted, and nothing I do seems to...
Quote: Originally Posted by woodchick We got that a lot when we were expecting DD2. My Dad was fond of saying "one is like one and two is like ten." I'll say that adding the second came with it's own challenges and some days things get pretty hairy. But overall if you can handle one you can handle two. We're really laid back and have found that everything has fallen nicely into place and we are enjoying life with two. Good luck, you'll do...
So, my almost-5yo child has a hitting problem currently... he is overcome by emotion and lashes out. We try to be nice, we talk it out... and the next day he's doing it again. Oh, sometimes he mixes it up and kicks, but he ignores all our saying how much it hurts us. On top of that, his new thing is crashing his body around into things... so today, he is climbing nearby- I keep him off me. He decides to move it so that he is running into me- I move him more. Then he...