or Connect

Posts by spottiew

hrm. my son is in a montessori... he is not expected to sit still; he can certainly watch other kids work if the other kids are ok with it or can be free to do 'nothing' (he doesn't have work that he 'has' to do)... there is no mandatory circle time; you can opt out and do your own thing any time. you can even flop your body around, and you can work on a floor rug instead of a desk. having said that, i also have a disrespecting non-listener... i also think the school...
As a mom to a train nut: IKEA all the way. it's inexpensive, good quality, looks and feels nice, does not break- and it's not made in china.
Quote: Originally Posted by Holiztic We are working through this everyday! I think it was a lot easier to be NOT child-centered when most people lived in multi-family homes (Grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc) AND when there was house-work going on all day (cooking, cleaning, mending, wood-working, farming/gardening, etc). I notice when I am my most busy with housework, my DS is best at entertaining himself and not demanding this and that. But when I...
Quote: Originally Posted by bluedaisy I realize some of these things might be more cultural, but when I observe my extended family some of the "child centered" behavior I saw was: - asking a toddler what they want for lunch instead of having them eat what everyone else is eating i would ask an adult that too, tho... i would always give a choice for what people have to eat. i actually think our culture is really NOT child centered... so many...
I think you can tune out intuition. I think you can lack it in certain areas- because you have no background for certain things. I think you can doubt yourself cause you really DON"T KNOW and need role models and knowledge from many sources. I think your intuition/gut feeling can be VERY WRONG sometimes, until you add further information! I think parenting can be intuitive somewhat and just as equally not. You may know how to be a parent and you may need to learn a...
oh man, compared to 3 and 4, 18-24 months is a snap! they say 'yes' instead of 'no' to your ideas! get out, do anything active, kitchen stuff, yard stuff... take walks, ride in bike trailer/wagon... all the fund stuff. arts and crafts, music. yes, you have to change activities a LOT and it's tiring, but it's better than what comes later (well for me anyway), where they won't do ANY of that stuff anymore. seriously, enjoy the time when you know their mind but before...
thanksgiving with my in-laws would just go on and on... they just VEG for the whole 4 days- drives me batty. that's why i try to visit them at other times instead and if they come here, i just go and do my own thing.
My kid's first year at Children's House seemed to have that kind of class dynamic- I had visited at Thanksgiving, so over 2 months in... kids were all emotional wrecks, couldn't even line up (in small groups even) without chaos and upsetting one another. I remember thinking no WONDER he's a mess after that all day. It just took the teachers organizing themselves, giving the kids good direction and attention, and setting a real priority on making things work in the class...
Yes, I can relate! My child rejects my ideas yet has none of his own; he just wails, 'I don't know what to DOOOOOOO'...
i'm more tolerant of tv if other things are happening too- like getting out, doing a variety of activities- if it's just couch potato day after day, im not happy being around that. but of course, that's when kiddo is most resistant to limiting. it ebbs adn flows, tho. obsessed for a while, then over it.