or Connect

Posts by heartmama

Well, I think you could adapt the space to protect the books. We are book lovers and actually had a bookstore in our home at one point with two book eating rabbits in residence. It can be done. I think a good cat is worth the effort to put the books out of reach. You can isolate special collections in off-limit rooms or closets, avoiding using the bottom shelf of bookshelves for books (put cat paper there), and teach kids to shelve books up high when not in use. If you...
Pretty much everyone in the house rabbit world uses ex pens for this purpose. They are made for dogs. They are basically 8 wire panels permanently attached together which can be folded flat or opened up up into a 4x4 foot square or many other variations of shapes and sizes depending on how many panels you use and how you arrange them. Ex pens are standard operating procedure in the house rabbit world. You can connect two of them to create a HUGE enclosed area for a...
My close friend has a 14 year old Weimaraner that is her baby. She adores this dog like a child. About 4 months ago the dog became seriously ill and was rushed to the pet ER. After all the tests came back negative for an explanation my friend asked they run the test for anti-freeze poisoning as a last resort (she read an article about the test). The test came back positive and a VERY expensive (and traumatic for the dog) 48 hour treatment was done. The dog improved and...
Well at this age I tried to limit my contact with "no" people in general and seek out support for gentle discipline. This is really one of the worst ages for getting unsolicited advice. It really comes down to deciding what is best and relentlessly standing up for your decision. It does get easier.
Let me put it this way: Your son can probably recognize a cat and say the word cat, right? But does that mean he understands a cat is a carnivorous domesticated animal that requires regular vet care and should be spayed/neutered to prevent pet overpopulation? Of course not.   Similarly, a toddler can associate words with pictures of faces such as 'happy, sad, mad' but can they comprehend WHY a person is mad rather than sad over a situation? No.   People tend to...
Wonderful! I loved reading about your family. So glad you are moderating here!!!
Does he show any signs of pain or discomfort? Does his hearing and vision seem normal? Children can be moody at this age. On the other hand, kids this age are too young to tell us if they have a physical problem. So I would just make sure there are no other physical signs or symptoms, such as lethargy, or avoiding physical play--if you see this changing too, I would visit the doctor just to cover bases.
I just finished watching the film "The Cove" (riveting and unforgettable) and it put me in a contemplative mood. I want to share this fascinating memory:   Years and years and years ago when ds was maybe 3 months old, we took a drive along the east coast of Florida. He was a very sick baby after his first open heart surgery. We heard there was a place known for healing energy that we wanted to visit on the coast. This was not an interstate, but an older highway. We...
    I agree. I do not see the point of imposing a random punishment at home for school related behavior. You were not there and you don't know what happened. All the teacher knows is that your son resorted to physical aggression with the same kid, twice. You don't know what prompted this, or what was behind it. I would be very slow to make any assumptions that led me to imposing punishments.   I would focus on the fact that your son needs to develop his coping skills with...
How old is your son?   Radical unschooling does not translate into a uniform approach to discipline. Discipline can be a hotly debated issue in radical unschooling discussions.   I think most parents would agree that if you are miserable and your child is miserable and you don't enjoy being around each other, something needs to change.   So with that in mind I would want to know more about the specific behavior of him wanting you to leave the room. When did...