or Connect

Posts by heartmama

I agree with the pac'n play alternative to my recommendation to mommy leaving the room. I want to clarify that time out in this situation is not discipline. It is a survival tactic. You need to stay safe and calm. He is not safe if you are not calm. You are not safe if he is biting and you are hurt. Time out is to keep order and calm. Not to punish. Not to teach a lesson, which he is too young to learn.
I think this is completely age appropriate behavior. My ds was exactly this way at 18 months and he outgrew it completely. I have known MANY 18 month olds who behaved this way. At 18 months this is very normal stuff to do to mommy. Also, you sound stressed. You sound isolated. He is feeling that. He is reflecting it back to you. I know because I was there too! You need boundaries. Do not spank him. Decide you will stop, and stop. If you can't stop, how can you...
I think we have that same monkey toy and it really is freakish sounding. Whenever we throw it our cats practically trip over their feet racing out of the room to hide. If you are not expecting that noise it sounds like something scary is about to happen. I am sorry that happened to her! I would just focus on toys she does enjoy and keep your response neutral and lighthearted regarding other toys. You can't really avoid stuffed toys totally, and it may just take a long...
Please do not delete threads--it is a violation of the user agreement. You can, of course, edit posts for safety and privacy concerns. If you feel a post needs to be removed due to safety issues please contact an administrator for help. If you feel someone has violated the user agreement in a response, please alert a moderator. This is the right course of action if you feel the thread is out of hand, not deleting the post/posts involved. Thanks!
Nobody in my family smoked, I was raised to think it was disgusting and low class, and never had any interest in it even when I was old enough to know lots of high class smokers. But as a kid I think my favorite candy in the world was cigarette candy gum, which for whatever reason my parents bought me. I went nuts over it. I used to love to pretend to smoke. I special ordered a box for ds online when he was 8. I do not believe for a second that pretending leads to real...
Yes it is always good to remember when reading threads that you are just mining for ideas, and you can't know which will work with your child. That is a good point, that the reason for a behavior varies, so the solution will vary. I have seen an approach work miracles with one child, and make another child frantic with distress.
I don't think your child sounds picky for his age and the foods he picks are very healthy. Ds was about the same at 3 years old. I think variety is over-rated in the west. Most three year olds around the world survive on some breastmilk and the local starch, fruits/greens, and meat. This is usually the same choice at every meal, every day, all year long. And some of these kids are in the longest lived countries in the world. Sometimes I think this idea that we need all...
I don't think it is unheard of for 4 year olds to occasionally bully smaller children, which at this age means toddlers. But if you know she has this trigger she should be supervised. I have a crystal clear memory of deliberately hurting a newborn baby when I was four. I had a new baby sister at home and knew better than to hurt her. But when I saw another newborn baby I thought he was boring and wanted to make him do something interesting. I waited for his mother to...
There are some really natural innocuous ones you can get at the health food store, like Toms, and other even more herbal varieties. I totally get not liking the idea of her pressured into this but I don't think having a stick in her bag, just in case she would be embarassed without it, will send any bad signals about her body. But to be clear: I do get your concern, would feel the same worry, and would have posted here to ask about it too.
He really sounds depressed, and I get that you are not willing to completely ignore this and let him wallow in filth. I think he clearly needs counseling but until that happens the only thing you can control is your own mental attitude. This sounds like a crisis situation and I tend to revert to a "First, do no harm" attitude in a crisis. It won't solve all problems but it might have more impact than you believe and certainly might reduce your own stress level. So my...